View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM

It's amazing how we get so caught up in our own world that we think other's don't understand. In truth, others do have their own diseases or conditions, some worse, some not that fall into the broader catagory of fellow sufferers.

By the time we've reached middle age, most people's lives have been touched by a friend's or loved one's chronic condition but they are familiar only with that specific condtion. In their zeal to make us and themselves feel better, they suggest what we consider stupid ideas... like don't they think I would have tried that by myself or some other similar thought process on both sides.

As a member of the thoughtless comment group, more commonly known as the foot-in-mouth syndrome, who means well and no harm, I decided long ago that the intent of what is being said or suggested is far more important than the words for which I'm enormously grateful. I also learned long ago, though putting into practice is still more difficult, to just say thank you. Put away the suggestion for you'll never know when you might be able to use it, or even better, pass it on to some other unsuspecting soul.

It was the suggestion of friend's, one inparticular, that lead me both to the physical therapy that kept me off meds for years before my surgery and to my ultimate ADR. She's also suggested many other things that fall into the previous catagory but I love her for each one. She's trying to help and how I do appreciate her generosity. If she cares enough to try, that's good enough for me and I hope other's view my 'help' or 'kind words' in the same fashion.

My best to all, Dale