View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Default re catching herniated discs...

Dale,
Rather early in my marriage, about 5 years into it, my husband started to complain about his back~

I was always telling him to be careful as he lifted everything, moved anything and it pained me to see him do so with not the correct body mechanics half the time~

One day he was unable to get out of bed and ended up off his feet for 3 weeks while I pleaded with his clients to NOT ask him to come and fix their networks/computers and to have his son take these calls/appts.

It was a good 3 weeks before he was on his feet again and I remember both he and I had wanted an MRI done to see what was going on. The doctor at the time (Managed care co. I worked for) said "unless you're thinking about having surgery, there's no need for an MRI now since you're back on your feet."

This is not to say he didn't have pain, he just worked thru it and cussed under his breath re my health insurance/the doctors.

That same year he traveled back to his country and for $150 he had a lumbar MRI. He had degenerative disc disease at L5S1 and a small disc bulge that was impinging on the nerve root.

Oh well.. there was his diagnosis. He still gets some doozy back pain episodes and gets pain into the testicular area (one sided I believe). He also sits alot, lifts things that he shouldn't and a whole host of other "shouldn't do" things.. I always tell him I don't want to see him getting any back surgery so "be careful"!!!! Goes unheeded~

Sure am sorry to hear your hub's back is bad too and I do hope perhaps he will do well with some conservative measures vs. invasive~ however, thankfully you know the ropes and everything he's going thru and should push come to shove~ where to go for the best care!

Sending your hub some auto recovery wishes!!!!!!

Last edited by Maria; 03-22-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling