Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Warning!!! Contageous heriated discs! in the Main forums forums; Hello all and I regret this posting of bad news. For years, my husband took loving care of me and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Exclamation Warning!!! Contageous heriated discs!

Hello all and I regret this posting of bad news.

For years, my husband took loving care of me and not so loving care of household chores. All during this time and more, he's been brutal on his back. My warnings were never heeded. Twisting his body while relaxing on the couch despite my pleads continued daily.

For several months now, he complained, on and off, about hip pain. Thinking the worst -a hip replacement - he would not go to the doctor. The pain became more frequent. A few weeks ago, after overdoing a day's work, not only did the pain become constant but he also complained of migrating pain down his leg and a tingling foot. With a very 'I told you so' attitude, I told him it was his back but without back pain, he remained unconvinced until the results of his MRI yesterday.

He was four heriated discs, S1/L2. Though referred to a spinal doctor of which I do have my favorites, I insisted he try the flexion/distraction therapy I had for the three years before my surgery. It kept me somewhat active for awhile and off of pain meds. Without prior surgeries and scar tissue, we're both hoping he'll respond positively, though I also doubt he'll take any better care of his back.

So, we've caught colds and the flu from each other over the years, but I didn't know he could catch this. Go know!

Dale
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Default re catching herniated discs...

Dale,
Rather early in my marriage, about 5 years into it, my husband started to complain about his back~

I was always telling him to be careful as he lifted everything, moved anything and it pained me to see him do so with not the correct body mechanics half the time~

One day he was unable to get out of bed and ended up off his feet for 3 weeks while I pleaded with his clients to NOT ask him to come and fix their networks/computers and to have his son take these calls/appts.

It was a good 3 weeks before he was on his feet again and I remember both he and I had wanted an MRI done to see what was going on. The doctor at the time (Managed care co. I worked for) said "unless you're thinking about having surgery, there's no need for an MRI now since you're back on your feet."

This is not to say he didn't have pain, he just worked thru it and cussed under his breath re my health insurance/the doctors.

That same year he traveled back to his country and for $150 he had a lumbar MRI. He had degenerative disc disease at L5S1 and a small disc bulge that was impinging on the nerve root.

Oh well.. there was his diagnosis. He still gets some doozy back pain episodes and gets pain into the testicular area (one sided I believe). He also sits alot, lifts things that he shouldn't and a whole host of other "shouldn't do" things.. I always tell him I don't want to see him getting any back surgery so "be careful"!!!! Goes unheeded~

Sure am sorry to hear your hub's back is bad too and I do hope perhaps he will do well with some conservative measures vs. invasive~ however, thankfully you know the ropes and everything he's going thru and should push come to shove~ where to go for the best care!

Sending your hub some auto recovery wishes!!!!!!

Last edited by Maria; 03-22-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Kind of like, "insanity is hereditary... you get if from your kids."

Dale, I'm so sorry to read about Julius' spine problems. However, it sounds like his symptoms aren't that bad yet and I hope to hear that conservative treatment is all he needs. I have a home traction unit that he's welcome to try... let me know... I'll drop it off on stuffed cabbage night!

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org