View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 AM

Talking Brand new here looking for advice, please?

Okay, thought I was gonna be heading out of the country for a two level ADR for L4, L5 & S1; got a call from one of the surgeons I sent info to in New York which said: "it is counterindicative (I am 100% sure) for you to have 2 levels of ADR because you have a posterior fracture in your lumbar spine" (I am not sure exactly where but I think it's L5); "therefore, you need 1 ADR and a fusion because your discs are destroyed at that level anyway".

Does this sound right to you? I have emailed the two other surgeon's offices (different countries) to get a response before I traipse off for surgery to another country for a procedure I could have had here in the U.S., with follow-up if needed (w/o an exorbitant amount of travel required), with insurance card taken upfront, instead of a line of credit taken on my home to pay for it with no guarantee of reimbursement. However, having listed all the negatives, I still would prefer 2-level, ADR surgery though so I can teach Zumba and be as active as I want to be.
Severe degenerative disc disease @L4-5&S1, lumbar & sacral arthritis, Mild degenerative facet disease; spinal stenosis, Left-sided spondylolysis @L5 with a grade I spondylolisthesis @ L5-S1; osteopenia (hips), lumbar radiculitis; surgery 5/31/11 with Dr. Fabian Bitan for 1 level ADR/fusion (hybrid).