View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 AM

Hi Maria: Thank you so much for taking the time for such a lengthy response. The only thing I can think of, to be honest, as to why 3 reputable surgeons missed this is because the REPORT of my recent discogram followed by a CT on 3/31/2011 had an ERROR. I called the radiology agency and got their "revised report" yesterday. They left out of their IMPRESSION: "There is a left-sided spondylolysis @ L5 with a grade I spondylolisthesis @ L5-S1."

I handwrote (on ones I sent in mail) and typed to all facilities I sent to electronically beforehand and when I sent all films that the current report was missing spondylolysis @L5 and I gave them a synopsis of what my diagnosis was based on other neurologists in the past. So either the senior surgeon or their staff did not look at all of my films? OR they only based their treatment plan on the radiology reports.

Either way, how can I feel secure in their decisions to treat me now, when one hasn't even responded back to my question about it being contraindicative, one responded back with dates I could get a one level plus fusion (hybrid) option w/o mentioning their error at all, and one had their rep call with no specific message, just to call back.

Is it normal to feel SO emotional? I am normally SUCH a happy person and usually very tough physically! (I have been through over 18 various surgeries/cancer, etc. stuff, but never back surgery though). I JUST want my life back and have been MASKING my pain by working out to extremes (to use endorphins to anesthesize pain) and using pain meds to carry on a normal life. It just hurts regardless of patch, oral pain meds, ice packs etc. and I can barely put on my shoes without tears. I believe you are right: 2 are bascially autofused, and I have been dealing with no mobility at that level any way, ONLY pain. It can't get worse by surgery, can it? I would think that a NEW disc with more space in my spine would logically take pressure off the nerves...but then why aren't the rates of people living a better life after hybrid surgery higher? I am SO unsure of what to do. Anyhow, thank YOU ALL for trying to help me sort this out. I hope to be of help to someone else some day.
Severe degenerative disc disease @L4-5&S1, lumbar & sacral arthritis, Mild degenerative facet disease; spinal stenosis, Left-sided spondylolysis @L5 with a grade I spondylolisthesis @ L5-S1; osteopenia (hips), lumbar radiculitis; surgery 5/31/11 with Dr. Fabian Bitan for 1 level ADR/fusion (hybrid).