View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Default ADR Pro Disc failure

Hello-My son is 32 years old, lives in Balto, MD and has one disc replaced with an ADR pro disc in his neck last July. According to the surgeon who did this at GBMC, who saw him one time before surgery and did surgery 3 days later, all is well, he can return to work in two weeks. Well, that was last July. Everything was fine for about a month, then all of the symptoms came back and worse. Callbacks to that surgeon were useless, he insists the disc is fine, placed well, etc.. Meantime it is May 2011 and my son has not returned to work, he is up almost all night, every night, he is in pain, he has lost 40 pounds in less than a year. His primary care doctor continued his care trying to get him into Johns Hopkins neurosurgery. That took forever, but he was seen in March. Now he is scheduled for a discogram and a revision fusion over the disc in late June. I am scared for him. Is this the right procedure, why aren't they taking out the disc, is he going to be able to function after this. His short term from the employer ran out in January and the long term has been denied. The insurance doctors feel that he can work on fentanyl patches and oxycodone as a backup. I am really confused by the non chalant attitude of doctors anymore. What programs are available for a young man who cannot work at this time, but won't be permanently disabled (at least I pray not). He has ran through his savings, thank goodness he had that to keep him going, but is about ready to lose everything. The employer is supposedly holding his job, but obviously not paying him.
Has anyone had this fusiion done when the adr didn't work, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.