Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss ADR Pro Disc failure in the Main forums forums; Hello-My son is 32 years old, lives in Balto, MD and has one disc replaced with an ADR pro ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Default ADR Pro Disc failure

Hello-My son is 32 years old, lives in Balto, MD and has one disc replaced with an ADR pro disc in his neck last July. According to the surgeon who did this at GBMC, who saw him one time before surgery and did surgery 3 days later, all is well, he can return to work in two weeks. Well, that was last July. Everything was fine for about a month, then all of the symptoms came back and worse. Callbacks to that surgeon were useless, he insists the disc is fine, placed well, etc.. Meantime it is May 2011 and my son has not returned to work, he is up almost all night, every night, he is in pain, he has lost 40 pounds in less than a year. His primary care doctor continued his care trying to get him into Johns Hopkins neurosurgery. That took forever, but he was seen in March. Now he is scheduled for a discogram and a revision fusion over the disc in late June. I am scared for him. Is this the right procedure, why aren't they taking out the disc, is he going to be able to function after this. His short term from the employer ran out in January and the long term has been denied. The insurance doctors feel that he can work on fentanyl patches and oxycodone as a backup. I am really confused by the non chalant attitude of doctors anymore. What programs are available for a young man who cannot work at this time, but won't be permanently disabled (at least I pray not). He has ran through his savings, thank goodness he had that to keep him going, but is about ready to lose everything. The employer is supposedly holding his job, but obviously not paying him.
Has anyone had this fusiion done when the adr didn't work, I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

Is your son Dustin? He posts on another board, adrsupport.

I don't know why they are fusing over instead of removing the discs. Maybe some of the others who are more familiar with cervical can respond. My concern is can you get the disc out after a posterior fusion, if the results aren't good?

I don't know if you are able to financially support your son or take him in as he goes through this. My only concern is that revision operations are not a good place to be and you want to do the right one.

As you can see the reality is he is disabled by pain, but fortunately for the insurance doctors pain is not quantifiable and we live for the most part in a callous society. My only concern would be doing the right op for where he will be in 5 years, not 5 months. That normally means a second or third opinion.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Thanks, I agree with that. I have seen what he has gone through in the last year and yest, that is Dustin. I'm not usre if revision is right or not. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 PM

To the best of my knowledge, a top revision surgeon is Dr. Regan in Beverly Hills. Revision is difficult and he has quite a bit of experience which is what you want.

You might want to contact Mark (GPN Artificial Disc Replacement ADR) if you can't get an appointment.

Even if finances prohibit your son from having surgery with Dr. Regan, at least you'll have his recommendation and can proceed from there.

And welcome to the forum-

Dale
Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 PM

thank you. I will forward this info to my son.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:12 AM

Well, if it's any comfort to you , I had 3 prodiscs removed from my neck c4-c7 and had it converted to fusion. I did good for a year , then went downhill in a severe way (I started wondering if I was going to need social security disability the rest of my life), but there are medications that can really help. Today, I'm off all meds, take an occasional vicoden as needed, overall back to doing fantastic. Mark would be a great place to start to get ideas on what surgeon can remove it. I believe there may be enough surgeons by now who are experienced and qualified to perhaps even maybe find one on your sons insurance plan. For example. Texas back institute docs were on my humana and aetna plan. These guys are 100% qualified to remove ADR and convert to fusion. I think things will be fine once the ADR is out. Feel lucky it's not a lumbar removal, those are life threatening!! The neck is a breeze comparatively speaking. Good luck!!

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Do they feel that they understand the pain generators?

What is the surgcial plan and what is the basis for the plan? What are they trying to accomplish?

What levels are to be included in the discogram? If the pain was always from another disc, and they can identify it with confidence, then they resolve issues at that level; then doing another level and leaving the prodics alone makes perfect sense.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM

I talk to dustin on the phone he should post his x- rays
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.