View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM

James,

The statistics on discectomies (as I've been told) are 85% for first surgeries, 50% for the second and down to 5% after that. Removing disc materiel weakens the disc putting stress on adjacent discs... causing their degereration and so on and so on and so on.

My personal experience is that my neuro was more interested in me as a surgical patient and no so much on rehabilitation. He was more than happy to do my second surgery too!

Pilates may be your best bet but I'm not sure any amount of strengthening can insure that you won't reherniate again... and again. A sneeze can even do it.

I refused my 3rd surgery after a friend, who had 9 surgeries and hardware from here to there, told me about the above mentioned statistics. When I discovered ADRs, my surgeon never told me, I knew this was the answer for me.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for and wish you a pain free future. Deciding on your individual best solution can be a grueling process but knowledge is power. Learn all you can and from other's experiences, which is what this forum is all about. You'll also find sympathy, empathy and kinship. We may in different boats but we're all sailing the same sea.

Good luck, Dale