View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Brett,

First, let me congratulate you on your upcoming 2nd baby. They are truly a gift. Like Maria, I would wait since your wife will probably be your primary care giver and before may be just too much work for her. Also would wait at least until baby sleeps through the night - just thinking about your wife.

There are so many pros and cons to surgery. Even lesser, non-invasive surgeries can lead to further degeneration down the line and more surgeries lead to even more.

Fusing L4/5 will more than likely lead to degeneration at adjacent segments which will lead to more and so on, especially at your age and activity level, which may have to be adjusted with a fusion and the limiting of movements it causes.

ADRs are designed for movement but studies, and there haven't been enough conducted, indicate they also might lead to further degeneration over a longer period of time.

If you have an ADR and your facets worsen, a difficult revision may be necessary.

Then again, the leg pain and/or numbness you feel is a result of something pressing on your spinal cord which can also lead to permanent nerve damage.

Your age is also a big factor as is your activity level. Some ADR recipients have no limitation whatsoever but most of us do. Fusion will also certainly leave you with limitations and lead to further degeneration.

I'm really not trying to scare you but you need to know as much as you can to help make the best decision possible. So what to do, especially with different doctors offering differing opinions.

Considering everything, and this is nothing more than my opinion, from someone who has absolutely no medical expertise whatsoever - I'd try the least invasive procedure first, something I don’t usually advocate and this is why;
Your recovery time will be less and with two small children, your down time is a factor.
The cost factor is minimal considering you can have this done locally (I would ask for other Canadian opinions though).
Though surgery is always easier on a virgin spine, future revision surgeries are easier and you may be one of the lucky ones who never need that revision surgery.
The possibility of permanent nerve damage will be minimalized.

I also don’t know why your back pain cannot be addressed with a discectomy which is why I suggest another opinion on that. My first disco/lami was good for 8 years. I was pain free!

I realize this is all a little too much to wrap your head around but something only you can decide. Your doctor is your most important decision along with which procedure. Please choose carefully and good luck.

Dale