View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM

OK- so now we're getting to the crux of it. The truth is there are always going to be good and bad. Over the years, I've heard stories not to dissimiliar to yours. I too have been subjected to less than adaquate care at hospitals. True, some doctors have a take it or leave it attitude, that their way is the only way but there are some really good practitioners out there. We always advise someone to get other opinions and sometimes it can take several doctors to find a good fit.

Some excellent doctors also feel this way. For a surgeon, I'd rather have skill than personality but for a doctor I see more often, I do want someone who's willing to work with me. Still there are some doctors who will do what the patient wants, regardless of benefit, because they're afraid of a lawsuit.

So having said all that, you have to ask yourself, do you want only to medicate away the pain or do you want to risk surgery. For spinal surgery, there is no going back. Your spine will forever be altered. BUT - you might find yourself living with less pain and a fuller life when compared to medicating only. If your pain is relatively recent, you might be more willing to take a wait and see attitude while living in pain for a long time can take away too much from your life, which is all you want back. This is a tough decision which only you can do. You can listen to other stories, talk to various doctors, learn as much as you can which you seemingly have already done, and hope you're making the best decision for your circumstances.

As for your parents, I can only imagine the horror you experienced - and twice. I am very sorry. We all know this is not a first, nor will it be the last. Even with careful choosing, mistakes can happen. Medical care never comes with any guarantees. All we can do is pay attention and choose carefully.

Dale