Thread: Mind on Lyrica
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Mind on Lyrica

I took Neurontin, 3600 mg daily, for about 1 year post op. I’ve since switched to Lyrica, 300 mg. daily for the last five months. Though definitely mind altering, my biggest complaint with Neurontin was my eyesight. It has somewhat improved with Lyrica but can still fluctuate from day to day and even morning to night. However, perhaps because some of my mind has returned, I’m far more aware of my decreased mental capacities.
A perfect example of this is reading these posts. I know I’ve read something before but don’t remember the content and must reread them. I confuse one person for another quite often and have difficulty concentrating and staying focused. I believe all of this is more than age related but I’d like to hear from others in their mid-50’s who are and aren’t on these drugs to see how much of what I’m experiencing is related to age vs. meds. My pm says drugs, my gp says age.

At this point, with my nerve damage unchanged for the last several months, it looks like I might be on Lyrica for the rest of my life and I realize I can’t stop the aging process but I play mind games every day in attempts to keep my mental faculties astute. I feel lost and only a percentage of my former self. Sometimes I forget something that happened just moments earlier, more than forgetting where I put something or why I entered a room 5 times, wondering why I did that. I can't even read a book for lack of concentration and this is very distressing.

So, why am I losing my mind? Age or drugs!

Dale... I sometimes even forget how to sign my name and my handwriting has changed?????