View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM

My first disco/lami was an emergency and I don't think there were many other options in 1994 anyway. However, I trusted that same doctor in 2002 to do another great service to me when the next level went south. He performed another disco/lami knowing it would probably fail and involve yet another level. He knew the odds and the other remedies out there, whether he believed in them or not. He was not 'legally' obligated to tell me about them because ADRs were not yet FDA approved. Second surgery failed within the year.

This doctor was highly respected in his field and considered a top surgeon. My anger has subsided over the years but had I realized some doctors serve themselves first, I would have done my own research or at least, get a second opinion.

Currently, a good friend, whose back has been getting worse over the years, was ready to go for her doctor recommended 4 level lumbar fusion. Blue Cross denied the four level but approved a 2 level. She didn't call me because she knew she'd get an earful- but then why would she just follow her surgeon blindly? Her husband had a successful dicso/lami 15+ years ago and is pushing her toward surgery. But a 4 level fusion?????? What kind of doctor is he, a sadist? I gave her the names of Dr. Regan and Delamarter for second opinions. Stay tuned.