View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM

Default good and not so good news

Thelma,
I was 47 when I stopped working tho I felt it coming for a long time so I wasn't taken by surprise by any means. The SSD application process for me may not have been as bad as it was for many as I had something like 18 years of documented back related records, 2 spine surgeries w/last dx of failed spine surgery and a 3rd surgery (at the time 3 level global fusion) was being recommended.

Another step I'd recommend is to see if the city that one lives in has a "Disabled Resources Center." My city had this and it was invaluable to me with regard to streamlining the application process and probably the review process as well since the Director of the Resource Center had close ties with many of the local SS offices and had worked for the SS dept for many years.

Needless to say no matter how easy and straight forward the form might look SS is looking for it to be filled out in a certain manner and with certain pertinent information included.

I think I was lucky as I got approved on first try. Really lucky tho then again I don't think luck had everything to do with it.

Anyway, CONGRATS to you on getting your SSD approved!

Sorry to read your cervical fusion has been problematic and also you have knee probs. Seems like so many of us with back probs do also have knee probs (I had 2 right knee surgeries and have tracking probs with both knees tho no pain really).

Neck stuff too.. yeah.. I do have to say that my cervical symptoms have much improved over the last few years as have my lumbar symptoms tho like anything I know that could very easily change at any given time.

Have you ever utilized Toradol injections for your cervical or lumbar symptoms? Not that it may help the actual problem tho for many that get these injections occasionally it greatly helps with spasms which seems to reduce at least a fair percentage of pain if spasms are occuring secondarily to another problem.

I have an upcoming foot bunion and hammertoe surgery that I'm dreading just because I know the gimping about will bother my back .. I just hate doing something I'm certain is going to screw up my back even if for a short while. I will have to make sure to get a Toradol injection myself as they usually break up the spasms for me right away.

Again, congrats on the SSD and hope the body parts that bother you will quiet down or at least hang in there until you can do what you might need to re the future knee replacement.

Last edited by Maria; 04-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.