Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Unexpected Outcome in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone: I have been contemplating as to whether I shoould post this or not. As you can see, I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Unexpected Outcome

Hello everyone:

I have been contemplating as to whether I shoould post this or not. As you can see, I have opted to share some of my story. I hope that in some way, this may be helpful to some folks.

Last week my social security disability income was approved at the administrative jusge level. Never in a million years would I have thought that I could no longer work at the age of 49 - the age at which my ssdi application started.

The major component of my disability is failed back surgery from my cervical fusion at c6-c7 (What was I thinking?) My artificial discs at l3-4-5 have been doing great. Unfortunately, the mechanical defect of my left knee causes me tolimp and have an awkwar gait. My L2 is degenerated and I have a large spur at L2-L3. I am holding off on my knee replcement because of my age and I am a big chicken sh*t.

So, that you for letting me rant. I wish ou all the best.

Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Default Ssdi

Hello Thelma

I have applied for SSDI and wondering how many times did you get denied? How long did this process take? Did you hire a Lawyer?

I am dealing with FBS in my lumbar spine and not able to work in pain every day trying to sell all that I have to feed our family and keep up

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi Gil,
Sorry to hear you have been denied. I hear that is very common. I'm afraid i don't have any info personally as i have been too afraid to try. I need to know as my husband left me with my 4 kids!!! I know just how you feel, the pain part especially.
I hope you get some good info here
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Default My SSDI Experience

Hey Gil,

I have learned so much about the SSDY process through thi wen site http://www.ssdfacts.com

I started the process on 11/3/2010 with my initial application. I was denied and my cased ended to the ODAR for and administrative judge hearing. The process can be frustrating and time-consuming, to say the least.

I wish you the best and hope you check out the web site I listed. It is an invaluable forum, much like this one.

Thelma

Sarcoidosis
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM

Default good and not so good news

Thelma,
I was 47 when I stopped working tho I felt it coming for a long time so I wasn't taken by surprise by any means. The SSD application process for me may not have been as bad as it was for many as I had something like 18 years of documented back related records, 2 spine surgeries w/last dx of failed spine surgery and a 3rd surgery (at the time 3 level global fusion) was being recommended.

Another step I'd recommend is to see if the city that one lives in has a "Disabled Resources Center." My city had this and it was invaluable to me with regard to streamlining the application process and probably the review process as well since the Director of the Resource Center had close ties with many of the local SS offices and had worked for the SS dept for many years.

Needless to say no matter how easy and straight forward the form might look SS is looking for it to be filled out in a certain manner and with certain pertinent information included.

I think I was lucky as I got approved on first try. Really lucky tho then again I don't think luck had everything to do with it.

Anyway, CONGRATS to you on getting your SSD approved!

Sorry to read your cervical fusion has been problematic and also you have knee probs. Seems like so many of us with back probs do also have knee probs (I had 2 right knee surgeries and have tracking probs with both knees tho no pain really).

Neck stuff too.. yeah.. I do have to say that my cervical symptoms have much improved over the last few years as have my lumbar symptoms tho like anything I know that could very easily change at any given time.

Have you ever utilized Toradol injections for your cervical or lumbar symptoms? Not that it may help the actual problem tho for many that get these injections occasionally it greatly helps with spasms which seems to reduce at least a fair percentage of pain if spasms are occuring secondarily to another problem.

I have an upcoming foot bunion and hammertoe surgery that I'm dreading just because I know the gimping about will bother my back .. I just hate doing something I'm certain is going to screw up my back even if for a short while. I will have to make sure to get a Toradol injection myself as they usually break up the spasms for me right away.

Again, congrats on the SSD and hope the body parts that bother you will quiet down or at least hang in there until you can do what you might need to re the future knee replacement.

Last edited by Maria; 04-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Thank You

Maria

Thank you for your kind and considerate response. I have had bunion surgery and it can be a bit painful. You doctor may prescrip and walking shoe, but I hope you will consider asking him or her for a cone. I had to opportunity to try one during my last physical therapy session and it was a big help. It seems that any mechanical defect that we have in our legs has an impact on our spines. I have swallowed my prode and have asked for a cane. Walking with a can has helped my lumbar spine immensely.

Godd luck.

Thelma

Sarcoidosis
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Thelma, thanks for the update.

I'm so sorry that your ongoing problems are severe enough to keep you from working,

It's great to hear that your ADR surgery was a success. I remember when you went for it... we were still very worried about multi-level use of lumbar ADR. At least that surgery allowed you to work for amost another decade.

Congrats on the SSD approval. That is not very easy for spine patients to get that.

All the best,

Mark

PS, I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to main forum (from the community support forum.)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Default Trail Blazers

Mark,
Than you for your kind words. I remember ten yours ago when you went to Germany for your ADR. You led the way for the rest of us considering and it was important to me be able to learn from your experience.

I hope that things will settle down so that I may return to work.

Thelma

Sarcoidosis