Thread: tspine help
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 AM

Unhappy tspine help

Starting at T8/9, I have a right paracentral annular tear with a right broad based paracentral disc protrusion. There is neurforaminal narrowing, stenosis and spondylosis. T9/10 had a right paracentral annular tear with a broad based right paracentral disc protrusion but there is no neuroforaminal narrowing or stenosis. There are bone spurs and some spondylosis at this level as well. At T10/11, there is some anterolisthesis with a broad based central disc protrustion. There is paracentral extension of the disc but no neurforaminal narrowing/stenosis. There is spondylosis as well.

I really don't know how many non-surgical procedures are left in my case. I have tried a hyperextension brace, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, physical therapy, chiropractics, facet nerve blocks and facet nerve rhizotomies. When I was in physical therapy, my therapist noticed a T5 dislocated/slipped facet joint as well. Basically, my pain and spasms are from T4/5 to T9/10 levels along the right side of my spine. My MRI showed mild scoliosis of the tspine that is concave to the right so I don't know if this correlates with how my spinal anatomy is or if it was just an incidental finding.

I have been getting muscle spasms/twitching from my waist/back down to the arches of my feet. There are days where the pain is so bad, my tramadol doesn't even do squat! The muscle spasms/twitching started this past month so I am pretty sure the nerves are going insane at this point because of how long they've been irritated. I use a TENS/EMS unit for my back but it only numbs it for a short time so I try to use icy hot just because the menthol feels good on the skin.

As far as sleeping goes, it hurts to move some nights when I need to reposition myself. My muscle spasms are usually the worst at night so not only is it very annoying to sleep with but my body feels like it's ran a marathon by morning. I don't even bother trying to lift or move anything anymore because 10 pounds is just way too much for me to handle. This is coming from someone who works at a local delivery hub loading drivers cars as well as someone who actively participates in sports. Oh, I am only 28 as well and this was from a lifting injury at my other job. Go figure...

Are there any other non-surgical approaches I can try or are we looking at surgery in the near future? I am trying to get in with a spinal neurosurgeon since I have been dealing with this for over a year and the muscle spasms/twitching is really concerning me since they recently started.