Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss tspine help in the Main forums forums; Starting at T8/9, I have a right paracentral annular tear with a right broad based paracentral disc protrusion. There ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 03:09 AM

Unhappy tspine help

Starting at T8/9, I have a right paracentral annular tear with a right broad based paracentral disc protrusion. There is neurforaminal narrowing, stenosis and spondylosis. T9/10 had a right paracentral annular tear with a broad based right paracentral disc protrusion but there is no neuroforaminal narrowing or stenosis. There are bone spurs and some spondylosis at this level as well. At T10/11, there is some anterolisthesis with a broad based central disc protrustion. There is paracentral extension of the disc but no neurforaminal narrowing/stenosis. There is spondylosis as well.

I really don't know how many non-surgical procedures are left in my case. I have tried a hyperextension brace, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, physical therapy, chiropractics, facet nerve blocks and facet nerve rhizotomies. When I was in physical therapy, my therapist noticed a T5 dislocated/slipped facet joint as well. Basically, my pain and spasms are from T4/5 to T9/10 levels along the right side of my spine. My MRI showed mild scoliosis of the tspine that is concave to the right so I don't know if this correlates with how my spinal anatomy is or if it was just an incidental finding.

I have been getting muscle spasms/twitching from my waist/back down to the arches of my feet. There are days where the pain is so bad, my tramadol doesn't even do squat! The muscle spasms/twitching started this past month so I am pretty sure the nerves are going insane at this point because of how long they've been irritated. I use a TENS/EMS unit for my back but it only numbs it for a short time so I try to use icy hot just because the menthol feels good on the skin.

As far as sleeping goes, it hurts to move some nights when I need to reposition myself. My muscle spasms are usually the worst at night so not only is it very annoying to sleep with but my body feels like it's ran a marathon by morning. I don't even bother trying to lift or move anything anymore because 10 pounds is just way too much for me to handle. This is coming from someone who works at a local delivery hub loading drivers cars as well as someone who actively participates in sports. Oh, I am only 28 as well and this was from a lifting injury at my other job. Go figure...

Are there any other non-surgical approaches I can try or are we looking at surgery in the near future? I am trying to get in with a spinal neurosurgeon since I have been dealing with this for over a year and the muscle spasms/twitching is really concerning me since they recently started.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 AM

Hi
I am no expert, just kind of one at having surgery on my spine and surviving it. My surgeon always sends me to physical therapy before any surgery is considered except in 2 instances.
Unfortunately , the thoracic spine is the tricky area finding a good surgeon. I also had some discs removed from the T Spine, with DrJohn Regan in Los Angeles. I cannot recommend him. He did the surgery and left and i never saw him again until a few months later when i went to ask why he never showed up.
He also damaged my phrenic nerve which controls the diaphragm muscle and thus breathing. I stopped breathing in recovery and was put on a ventilator. Then some time in intensive care. I just don't want any one else going to him unknowing. I have met several people on this forum who also had severe problems with him. Of course he must have his success stories too. I just have nothing nice to say of him as a person.
Sorry i went on that really doesn't help you at all.

But when i had some of the painful thoracic discs removed, i eventually lost that horrible pain. I had discography to prove which disc was producing my symptoms. I don't think you mentioned that test. you would know if you had it, it is quite painful.

Sorry i did not see this earlier and neither did anyone else. I am sorry about your spinal pain and do wish you the best of luck finding a good surgeon who is familiar with this type of surgery. I strongly suggest you have discography as we can never tell which levels are the pain generators. You don't want to have surgery and miss the level causing you the most pain.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot