Thread: tspine help
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 03:35 AM

Hi
I am no expert, just kind of one at having surgery on my spine and surviving it. My surgeon always sends me to physical therapy before any surgery is considered except in 2 instances.
Unfortunately , the thoracic spine is the tricky area finding a good surgeon. I also had some discs removed from the T Spine, with DrJohn Regan in Los Angeles. I cannot recommend him. He did the surgery and left and i never saw him again until a few months later when i went to ask why he never showed up.
He also damaged my phrenic nerve which controls the diaphragm muscle and thus breathing. I stopped breathing in recovery and was put on a ventilator. Then some time in intensive care. I just don't want any one else going to him unknowing. I have met several people on this forum who also had severe problems with him. Of course he must have his success stories too. I just have nothing nice to say of him as a person.
Sorry i went on that really doesn't help you at all.

But when i had some of the painful thoracic discs removed, i eventually lost that horrible pain. I had discography to prove which disc was producing my symptoms. I don't think you mentioned that test. you would know if you had it, it is quite painful.

Sorry i did not see this earlier and neither did anyone else. I am sorry about your spinal pain and do wish you the best of luck finding a good surgeon who is familiar with this type of surgery. I strongly suggest you have discography as we can never tell which levels are the pain generators. You don't want to have surgery and miss the level causing you the most pain.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot