View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Thoracic Chest Pain

Hi, Maria.

I've had thoracic problems for a few years now and just underwent laminectomies and fusion at the T3-4 and T9-10 levels in Sept because of spinal chord and nerve route stenosis. In addition to have pain under the shoulder blades, I had pain, like you, that was right in the middle of the chest. It got so bad at times and mimiced heart problems enough that they did a heart cath in April to rule out any heart issues (which it did) and determine if it was indeed the thoracic stenosis causing the problem. If I remember what I read correctly, stenosis anywhere between the T3-6 levels can cause chest pain. Stenosis of any of the thoracic nerve roots can cause pain to wrap around to the front since the nerves run along the rib cage. The T9-10 was causing problems in my abdomen as well.

Before the surgery, I tried both epidural and facet injections and got some relief, but it lasted only a couple of weeks. The pain was past being handled by meds when I finally saw someone, so they didn't even try them.

Good luck and best wishes for feeling better!