Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Is this common with Thoracic pain in the Main forums forums; I've been having more and more thoracic discomfort esp. by the end of the day when going to bed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Is this common with Thoracic pain

I've been having more and more thoracic discomfort esp. by the end of the day when going to bed or early in a.m. when sitting at computer.

I'm a female so it's right about the level of the back of my bra clasp (level with this area) which my OSS told me long long ago he thought that would be the next area to give me problems tho it wasn't.. instead it was my cervical area (after lumbar).

Well today I feel this sort of deep pressure like discomfort in my sternum. It's not crushing or anything just kind of uncomfortable. I've been off my GERD meds for awhile so going to try that again before I start jumping to conclusions tho I had wondered about people with tspine probs and if pain also radiated to the front as I think I've read that it had tho currently for me it's all discomfort vs. pain.

I'm rather afraid now it will progress to that just given the way my lumbar and cervical areas have gone. And no I've seen anybody about this altho I have a long history of mild scoliosis findings at T7.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Thoracic Chest Pain

Hi, Maria.

I've had thoracic problems for a few years now and just underwent laminectomies and fusion at the T3-4 and T9-10 levels in Sept because of spinal chord and nerve route stenosis. In addition to have pain under the shoulder blades, I had pain, like you, that was right in the middle of the chest. It got so bad at times and mimiced heart problems enough that they did a heart cath in April to rule out any heart issues (which it did) and determine if it was indeed the thoracic stenosis causing the problem. If I remember what I read correctly, stenosis anywhere between the T3-6 levels can cause chest pain. Stenosis of any of the thoracic nerve roots can cause pain to wrap around to the front since the nerves run along the rib cage. The T9-10 was causing problems in my abdomen as well.

Before the surgery, I tried both epidural and facet injections and got some relief, but it lasted only a couple of weeks. The pain was past being handled by meds when I finally saw someone, so they didn't even try them.

Good luck and best wishes for feeling better!