View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Getting my first wheelchair

I'm not happy to say I need one though I am happy to say at this point it's not for my back.. it's because I have posterior tibial tendonitis in both feet and they are killing me so I'm going to try wheeling myself about in the house for a number of weeks (moving on Saturday) and hope my feet will improve.

I've had the condition now since 2008 or so and it's progressed to become chronic and much more debilitating as I used to walk a lot and now I can't walk at all hardly without flaring up my feet. I am not sure if I'm also developing arthritis in both feet.

Anyway I'm going to try to see a podiatrist that specializes in Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. I've been disappointed with the mercenary treatment of some Podiatrists to date re fitting for their orthotics that aren't covered by insurance and trying to sell me braces that cost $200 for each one in the office then I ordered them on Amazon and got 3 pairs for $58 and that was with overnight shipping of $20. I went and had custom orthotics made for half the price at a local shoe speciality store which kept me on my feet most of this year.

Now using these orthotics, soft braces with stays and staps and motion control shoes aren't helping my pronating feet enough so enters the wheelchair. The immobility isn't helping my back though as I must have a fair degree of arthritis mixed in with my "other stuff" as walking has helped my back quite a bit the last 7 years or so..

Oh well .. got to see what can be done and try to do it. I ordered a manual wheelchair from WalMart and will get it some time Friday.

Meanwhile 90mg of Toradol IM really helped my back today