Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Getting my first wheelchair in the Main forums forums; I'm not happy to say I need one though I am happy to say at this point it's ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Getting my first wheelchair

I'm not happy to say I need one though I am happy to say at this point it's not for my back.. it's because I have posterior tibial tendonitis in both feet and they are killing me so I'm going to try wheeling myself about in the house for a number of weeks (moving on Saturday) and hope my feet will improve.

I've had the condition now since 2008 or so and it's progressed to become chronic and much more debilitating as I used to walk a lot and now I can't walk at all hardly without flaring up my feet. I am not sure if I'm also developing arthritis in both feet.

Anyway I'm going to try to see a podiatrist that specializes in Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. I've been disappointed with the mercenary treatment of some Podiatrists to date re fitting for their orthotics that aren't covered by insurance and trying to sell me braces that cost $200 for each one in the office then I ordered them on Amazon and got 3 pairs for $58 and that was with overnight shipping of $20. I went and had custom orthotics made for half the price at a local shoe speciality store which kept me on my feet most of this year.

Now using these orthotics, soft braces with stays and staps and motion control shoes aren't helping my pronating feet enough so enters the wheelchair. The immobility isn't helping my back though as I must have a fair degree of arthritis mixed in with my "other stuff" as walking has helped my back quite a bit the last 7 years or so..

Oh well .. got to see what can be done and try to do it. I ordered a manual wheelchair from WalMart and will get it some time Friday.

Meanwhile 90mg of Toradol IM really helped my back today
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 AM

Maria,
Sorry to hear about the foot problems. It sounds like you are dealing with it in a level headed way.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Hi Maria... wow! What to say? Glad your back is doing OK... sorry about the wheelchair?

How did the move go? When things settle down for you, let's go see Judy.

Talk to you soon,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Default move

Wow Mark it was tough.. movers came at 6:30p.m. and the whole thing was over about 11p.m. on Saturday night. Thanks to Edgar I got thru this all because he helped me so much. Didn't set up the wheelchair until Sunday afternoon but I've not really needed it as I've been binding both feet up in braces all day and all night and that seems to help the posterior tibial tendon at least so far and then I don't spend anymore time on my feet than I need to but even then it's plenty with unpacking and such.

I'll be free for a visit with Judy next week if you want or thereafter~

oh yeah.. the move did do a number on my back for sure as has lifting boxes and schlepping them around
Old 11-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Default thankfully

The mean nasty pain in my back from moving settled down yesterday thankfully! I mean I was hurting big time! Probably the biggest work out I've had in a while! And not using the w/c now.. just bracing both feet for the PTT (posterior tibial tendonitis) and that helps quite a bit. The braces are a bit cumbersome and not so pleasant to drive with but all in all if it helps to lessen pain and allow mobility then it's good