View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM

Well, an update:

I did get my surgery done last year for my cervical spine. Overall, it was "easier" than my lumbar surgeries.
I was in new territory when I was trying to find out what to do about my neck problem. I had an anterior cervical disectomy and fusion at C5/6 and C6/7 with corpectomies.
Of course when my surgeon did get in there, poking around in my cervical spine that is, he found a very degenerated disc, especially at C6/7. It was bad so it was a very good decision that I had surgery.

My discs actually collapsed in a short time so there was no chance of getting ADRs at any of the two levels. I did ask my surgeon to explore that option and he did, but with new data, he flat out said he couldn't do it and then explained why, and that was after he had me go for an up-dated CT and x-rays. I would not gain any more motion in my neck even if he could slip an ADR inbetween the vertebral end plates, which he doubted was even possible, and so fusion was the way to go because those two discs had no motion. Remember, ADRs are motion-preserving devices.
I have been around the block enough with my surgeon, so to speak, that I trust his opinion and expertise.

I did get to get a fusion surgery without a plate and screws outside. My one-year anniversary was May 15 and at my last appointment, I found out my discs were trying to fuse but not in the middle like they should. I have heterotopic ossification, and the minute he told me what was going on, I knew what that was. I am not sure what it means for the future but I am doing pretty good with regards to my cervical spine. I have a little hand/arm pain but it is infrequent and most of the time, I get numbness in either hand/arm, it seems to be positional and I can get rid of the numbness by adjusting my neck.

My doctor told me the H.O., a short abbreviation for a complicated distinction, is like stalactites and stalagmites and they are trying to come together. I have bone growing where it shouldn't.

Runner