Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss runner's surgery blog, L4/5, 2008 in the Main forums forums; Hey all! Good conference. I'm glad you guys are making progress. It sometimes is a roller-coaster ride. Hang ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM

Default 5-5-2008

Hey all! Good conference. I'm glad you guys are making progress. It sometimes is a roller-coaster ride.

Hang in there!

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5

Terry
View Public Profile
Find all posts by Terry
Add Terry to Your Contacts
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Default 5-6-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Berry, Phylly and Terry,

Thanks so much for the quick responses.
I feel better now, knowing that what I am experiencing is similar to what some of you have experienced.

You know before surgery, most of us are so used to terrible pain 24/7 and it kind of overshadows everything in our life. One of the persons in the video preview, which was played today on the Miami ADR conference, spoke about his life being centered around pain control, and I could really relate because before my surgery that could easily describe my life.
My actions revolved around attempting to lessen my pain and some activities were out of reach. Like I stopped going to the movies, leaving the house for the most part, etc..
Now, that I am into my recovery, I am trying to get back to a more "normal" life and my pain is a lot less but it is still there. Like a lot of people on here, I expected to be further along at 8 weeks. But there is no template about how each of our recoveries is supposed to go.

I start getting upset with my recovery, until I think about how major of a surgery disc replacement is. I forget that 8 weeks ago, I had terrible back and stomach pain after surgery. And now, a lot of that pain is gone, but not all.
I guess I have never really liked roller-coaster rides and more so as I get older. LOL.

My husband was doing the looking over the shoulder bit earlier tonight when I was reading posts on this site and he told me, to be careful that if I read too much about ADRs, a "bad outcome" might be a self-fulfilling prospect.
I tried to tell him that being able to relate to people on here, helps me deal with whatever may come up post-surgery. I am not expecting something bad to happen to me just because it occurred with someone else.
My hubby didn't quite get it.

The whole point to coming on here is that people on here can relate to what I am going through and vice-versa
Thanks so much for listening. I really appreciate people on here speaking frankly about their experience with their recoveries.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 AM

Default 5-19-2008

Well almost at 10 weeks post-op and am feeling better last few days. At week 8, I felt really really good and then week 9, not so good.
Somehow must of overdone it.

I now have more letters to write. I really cannot believe the misinformation and lies that spreads around. It is like cow--you know what.
You know I found out my surgery was actually authorized and the insurance company just won't pay for it.

Went to church this Sunday and one of my friends there told me she was surprised I looked so good at this point in my recovery. She had family members who had fusion and have never been able to get off pain meds or get away from severe pain.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Too much work.... we can find a better way... maybe save web pages and post with just a link to it?

I can't do anything now... leaving for my surgery in a few hours...

Don't bust a gut to post all this...

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Default 6-11-2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 11, 2008--
Three months since disc surgery at L4/5. Just started physical therapy this week and had some today and now I am sore.
Cutting back on meds slowly.

I am happy with my pain levels for this point in recovery but I am not happy with how big my stomach is.
I gained at least 8 pounds in one week and I think it is the neurotin. I look about five months pregnant. I've had people ask me if I am expecting. Anyone out there have this problem?

I saw the neurosurgeon on June 2 and i asked to get off the Neurotin but got a "no" to that question. He wants me weaning one med at a time, which makes sense. I seem to have only right foot nerve pain so the neurotin is probably helping that.

Fatigue level is better but I am still needing to take mid-day naps.
I just get so darn tired.
Of course taking care of children doesn't help. School is almost out.

I still have problems with constipation and that is maybe why i resemble the Michellin tire boy. I think having the ileus after surgery hasn't helped.

A slow recovery but progress being made. Not using brace anymore since, May 31.

Surgery was definitely worth it.

Right now, I have a hard time believing I will be back to work by September. There is no way I am going to push this recovery.

I like how some doctors say people have no restrictions. Does that mean people can go from zero to sixty. My doc isn't like that.

Restrictions now are no lifting more than 15-20 pounds and if it feels heavy; can bend but not too much, no twisting, can stationary bike, small stomach crunches, physical therapy, and walking.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM

Default 6-12-2008

Congratulations. it sounds like your recovery is right on schedule. Sometimes it's two steps forwards and three steps back. hang in there and you will continue to get better.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 AM

Default 6-12-2008

Hi,
I am so glad that you are doing so well and really appreciate your writing style and honesty describing your recovery. At 6 months post op I am doing okay most days and go out and do errands and try to treadmill every other day. I do wear my brace after the blip I had and want to go to PT again, but I got a No on that for now. I still also have pain but it's very low.
I also have sciatica which was not helped by the surgery so I have a dilemma about having the foramina surgery. I may go for one more injection first. The nuerontin definitely does not help with weight loss. I am on a lot and it makes you hungry.
I am still waiting to hear from Blue Cross after I submitted another round of bills from the hospital. I will probably go ahead with a lawyer to write to Blue Cross. It is such a pain to try to get money after the surgery. It is also expensive and we both have had to pay so much. I wish you the best on getting back your money. Eventually this will be covered; they are SO LAME.
KEEP UP THE GREAT RECOVERY, 3 months seemed like a turning point for me I hope it is for you too.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007 Dr. Delamarter
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 AM

Default 6-12-2008

Terry,

Thanks for your reply. You are an inspiration to me, having such a major surgery(s) and being able to get back your life.

It is a tough recovery and I think the hard part is that some people think you should be all better three months out or four or five or whatever. The problem is I don't feel all better.

I certainly look majorly bloated.It starts below the middle of my rib cage and down past my belly button. I have a difficult time dealing with how I look, especially when I have been so athletic all my life. I wasn't what I call, "lean" right before I had surgery. Because the surgery kept being cancelled and I could not do much exercise at all after November-December because of the pain, my strong core muscles deteriorated.
I wasn't, however, looking like what I look like now.
Before the back pain began, now more than a year ago, I was getting in the best shape I had been in a long time. It was two years after having my fourth child. I was running well and exercising at least six days a week.
Then Bam, my life was turned upside down and things just kept getting worse.

I start thinking I shouldn't complain because that killer back pain is gone. But I can't wear my levis and it is downright depressing.

Throw in an insurance fight in the middle of all of this and things look bleaker.

I think my recovery is good, especially when I think about how awful I felt before ADR surgery. I am a worrier. Now I am fretting about reducing the pain meds. I am not sure I can cut the oxy dose by half. I have eliminated one dose during the day and now am taking it twice a day.

I keep telling myself to concentrate on the recovery and that is all I need to do. Unfortunately, I have a messy house. I have files and files of stuff on ADRs and I am a bit overwhelmed.

What do you do to keep your eyes on your recovery?

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 AM

Default 6-15-2008

To all who have wondered how recovery can seem so easy for me the answer is; "It wasn't and isn't." The big difference for me is that we are all in various disease stages prior to the surgery and it is dangerous to compare ourselves to others though this is the natural inclination. I was in good condition pre-surgery and always have been before any surgery I have ever had. I have had three major spinal surgeries and a shoulder surgery. I also refuse to allow pain to control my life. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia years ago and my doctor always complimented me on being his best patient. I understand the best pain medication is endorphins that the brain produces with hard-core aerobic activity. I have cycled for years which I continue to do. I rode many miles the year of the surgery and rode over 2,000 while healing from the surgery. I don't know how much time I have before I am debilitated and this scares the shit out of me. I continue to stay active and have well over 600 miles so far year to date. I believe that active people tolerate our condition better than inactive people. I have always forced myself to remain active and not let my condition run my life. I am hopeful that everyone here can do the same thing and push beyond the pain. If anyone wishes to discuss this further, please let me know. I am definitely not bragging as I see myself having the potential to be in a wheelchair some day. I just refuse to have it be today.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
Bicycle Accident 2004
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Default 6-19-2008

Hello everyone,

I have been reading your comments, thanks so much. I will write later. Feeling pretty good but I am in San Francisco this week and I am a bit sore. Flying is tough on an ADR patient. Not too bad.
I'm doing my best to help us get ADR approved by those large, stupid, insurance companies which are making it a hell for a lot of us.
No I am not taking up arms. Just protesting.

Take Care,

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.