View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 AM

Red face re: the new news

I hope so, too. Cathy.
The news is beginning to sink in as I have my first pre-op appt with my primary doctor tomorrow so I can be medically cleared for the surgery.

Now I am worrying about how I am going to get this paid for and covered.
I cannot consciously do fusion when I know ADR is the better surgery in terms of outcome, recovery, adjacent disc disease, etc...

I got my surgery date today and it is later than I wanted but maybe it will be for the best. It will be on July 7th.

So fireworks, my husband's b-day and then surgery. Yeh!!!
It comes out to eight weeks of waiting.

I think the L5/S1 problem just was under the radar. The only indication was a pain response at L5/S1 in my 2007 discogram. Then, it was thought to be referred pain from L4/5.
Since I first felt that awful,, familiar pain in late August, 2008, it has been eight months of increasing pain and that other stuff, numbness and sciatica. Today was not good.

It just seems like you do the discogram and things go downhill.

My mood should be good but besides the thought of undergoing a second major surgery is the worry about getting ready for it.
My hope is that after this surgery I will be able to go back to work and live my life like it should be led.

My surgeon is a very talented neurosurgeon in my area.
Yes, he did my first surgery and he placed the Disc right on the money. It is working great. I love it when the doctors marvel at my range of motion but that is what you get with motion-preserving technology.
The vascular surgeon assisting him is a well-renowned doctor and so nice. I will probably even get the same anesthesiologist.
It will be like old home week in the OR.

There are pluses. My PM doc said last week that I still have a lot of strength left in my legs and feet, although it is not what I have had in the past. There is the possibility that the numbness might go away. Hopefully, the sciatica will be erased for forever. I know my reflexes are not good but they might get better. Who knows.

I have thought of delaying the surgery and then realize that will not be a good idea because if this just gets worse it might preclude me from having a disc. I don't want to be in pain and just deteriorate. From last time, I realized they cannot tell you how bad the DDD is before they operate.

So I try to get my house in order before the big event. And I figure out the logistics. Must of spent three hours or more on the phone today.

You are coming up pretty soon, aren't you, Cathy?

Runner

Last edited by runner; 06-10-2009 at 07:41 AM.