Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss runner's surgery blog, L4/5, 2008 in the Main forums forums; Here is my surgical blog:...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 AM

Post runner's surgery blog, L4/5, 2008

Here is my surgical blog:

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: add words
Old 04-05-2009, 05:02 AM

Had ProDisc placement in 2008. It feels good to finally get this done and be on the road to recovery.
I am having back pain and some abdominal pain, but the abdominal pain is fading. All the pain I have had post surgical, is getting better.
I spent 10 days in the hospital (I was released Thursday night) because I developed a post-operative ileus (intestinal obstruction) and ended up NPO for about four days.
Physicially, I am feeling pretty good. Taking naps during the day but so much stronger than right after surgery.
Fighting my health insurance is taking up much of my "free" time.
Ready to hit the MOM or something right now. I am taking the colace three times a day, miralax powder and smooth-move tea and so far nothing.
I look like I have a little watermelon in my tummy. LOL.
So happy to have things done,

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 AM

Default 3-25-2008

Yes,

I am taking it easy.

I am trying to do a little bit each day to get insurance to cover my surgery. I feel like this is my new "job" to get my surgery covered and get others covered too in the process.

Having problems with the plumbing. Had to resort to the MOM therapy today. LOL.
I just took another percocet and sleeping pill and that makes me rest.

My family is supportive but worried at the same time. About our financial future, about my health, etc... I always believe something happens for a reason and I believe "my reason" is to help others like I do when I work as a nurse.
I am a patient advocate above all else. If you can, please keep helping me. I appreciate anything you do and i will heed your comments.

As for now, if I do anything my back doesn't like, it tells me.
That movement really hurts and I have tried to avoid things such as that. Also paying attention, to not sit for more than 20-25 minutes as PT instructed me in the hospital.
I have a walker too, and have used it outside and sometimes inside. One thing I noticed is that holding onto the walker, prevents me from bending over. Getting some help for my three-year-old, which isn't easy because we cannot afford to spend money on childcare.
Finally, on the road to recovery.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 AM

03-25-2008, 01:02 PM
phylly
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so glad that you have had your surgery and are finally feeling better. I was following your story. I have the same insurance and they are awful. You may want to get a lawyer to help you with the appeals. Your job is to get better so that you can prove it was the right decision. Take things slowly, it really does take some time to get back to you old self. All my best to you.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007 Dr. Delamarter
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:13 AM

Hi,
Glad to hear you are in recovery mode. Take it easy. There will be time to fight em. May it get a little better and stronger each day. Keep us posted about your health and progress with insurance. JL
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:16 AM

Default 3-28-2008

Phylly and JL,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Phylly, I have a lawyer and now I think I need a different one.
I am just going to keep doing everything to get this covered. In my eyes, my insurance company is one of the worse insurance companies anyone can ever have.

As for recovery, saw my doctor, on Thursday and he said I was progressing well. That I looked a lot better than when he saw me last week in the hospital. LOL.
I am getting the picture that recovery is a slow process. I got some Lidocaine patches for an abdominal pain to the left of my incision and it really does help to put a strip there.
I asked the doctor about distraction pains, because so many seem to encounter them after ADR surgery and he said my hip/back pain could be that. I am now just over two weeks post op.
No physical therapy for now and just continue what I have been doing. I just kind of putter around the house.
I see my vascular surgeon on Monday and see what he says. I got my bandage off and now I just have a small scar and it is underneath my belly button because my L4/5 was higher than normal. It is amazing they can do all that work through a tiny space.
I am really happy I did the ADR surgery and know in my heart it was the best thing to do for me. My surgeons agree.
A great thing happened today, I was a little (lot) depressed and right when I felt the worse, I got a phone call from a friend.
Made all the difference.

In about three and half weeks, go to doc again and get X-rays done. I am curious to see what the Disc looks like. I had x-rays in the hospital but did not get to see them.

Here's to everyone progressing in their recoveries.

Last edited by runner; 06-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.