Thread: Antibiotics
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Dale,

This is an issue that has been frequently discussed in many of the patient communities. It's a great example how we get conflicting information - even when only considering the top few sources. There are prominent ADR surgeons that insist on proplylactic antibiotics for post-ADR dental work. There are also prominent surgeons who insist that there is no science to back up the need and it is not necessary.

For me, it is a useless discussion to have because my dentist will not clean my teeth without prophylactic antibiotics. (She must not be a man of science, according to many top ADR surgeons!)

I believe in doing research and making our own decisions. However, in many cases, I believe it is necessary to realize that we need to take opinions about certain subjects from experts. Internet chat is interesting, but I'll not take advice about dental work from the spine patient community. I'll also not take advice about post-ADR dental work from my ADR surgeon. I'm going to go with the dentist who's doing the work. She is a serious doctor who is making serious decisions about a serious subject, with some serious science behind her. Besides, I like her and don't want to find another dentist.

So, you'll get information that is all over the place about this. I think it's between you and your dentist.

Mark