Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Antibiotics in the Main forums forums; Mark, While searching your FAQs, which I don't seem to be able to master yet, I found nothing on ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Exclamation Antibiotics

Mark,

While searching your FAQs, which I don't seem to be able to master yet, I found nothing on taking antibiotics prior to all dental procedures. I believe the term is called prophylaxis antibiotics. I think too many ADR recipients are not told about it and should have the information to decide for themselves how important it is... along with the taking of probiotics at the same time. Dr. B told me nothing but my dentist did. I know that are varied opinions but the majority seem to believe it is important. Perhaps you could mention something about this so future candidates have this information.

Dale

Last edited by dshobbies; 10-18-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Dale,

This is an issue that has been frequently discussed in many of the patient communities. It's a great example how we get conflicting information - even when only considering the top few sources. There are prominent ADR surgeons that insist on proplylactic antibiotics for post-ADR dental work. There are also prominent surgeons who insist that there is no science to back up the need and it is not necessary.

For me, it is a useless discussion to have because my dentist will not clean my teeth without prophylactic antibiotics. (She must not be a man of science, according to many top ADR surgeons!)

I believe in doing research and making our own decisions. However, in many cases, I believe it is necessary to realize that we need to take opinions about certain subjects from experts. Internet chat is interesting, but I'll not take advice about dental work from the spine patient community. I'll also not take advice about post-ADR dental work from my ADR surgeon. I'm going to go with the dentist who's doing the work. She is a serious doctor who is making serious decisions about a serious subject, with some serious science behind her. Besides, I like her and don't want to find another dentist.

So, you'll get information that is all over the place about this. I think it's between you and your dentist.

Mark
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Administrator

The FAQ page on this site is provided with the bulletin board software and is all about the software... not about topics for the patient community. I don't have FAQ's developed that for the patient community. If I discover information that warrants a FAQ page, I'll set it up.

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 10-18-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 AM
Administrator

Dale...

Thank you for bringing this subject up. I hope it doesn't seem as if I was being flippant in my original reply. While I believe that there is conflicting information and this is between you and your dentist, I missed the point of your post.

YES.... many of us are not told about this and it IS an important subject. Many of us have dental work and never know that we should bring it up. Some dentists ask about metal implants, but some don't. This is something that should be discussed... thanks again for bringing this up!

Mark
Old 10-18-2006, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the addendum Mark. These forums are all about sharing information and I thought you missed the boat on this one. Still don't understand the FAQs being about the software and not about the topic but I'll catch on.
Dale