View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Sharman,

I found your thoughts and questions quite thorough. While some answers may not be known for a while, they are nontheless important considerations.

I have three more points to include;

First, ADRs aren't covered by American ins. co.s whereas fusions are. If finances are a primary concern, that may well be your final answer. Going to Germany, the cost is about half and you'll have the world's best doctors.

Also, long term studies are beginning to show adjacent segment deterioration with ADRs too, but at a much slower pace, 10 years or so and not affecting everyone???? (Sorry, I don't have the links anymore)

I could be mistaken but I don't believe your own bone is harvested for fusion anymore.

As for the healing process, though my experience is very limited, it seems that ADR patients heal faster and return to whatever their normal life will be quicker. I've heard patients from both sides say they were happy/miserable with their decisions. Ideal candidates can do poorly and vice versa. Your best bet with either procedure (and with all procedures) is the quality and experience of your doctor. In fact, I'd say this choice is more important than the procedure you ultimately choose

I wish you the best of luck in both your decision and your surgery.

Dale