View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 AM

Default From KL

Hello Lee

I live in KL and please check my previous posts (39 year old female). I have herniations the same levels as you have one toward the left. one toward the right (they are not only bulges, they look like they have ruptured). My left arm get the creeping ants feeling (mildly), I am on medication and house rest right now for almost 2 weeks and I am not sure if I have improved as the symptoms have been very mild iniatally and I still have them on and off. I have been to Singapore as well. I have seen Dr. Khoo in Mount Elisabeth Hospital. He did not offer surgery right away but he said that would be the likely outcome if I want to have a normal active life(I don't know how valid that reccomendation is considering the high risk of adjacent disc herniations because of fusion within 5 years after surgery!!). I used to play tennis and golf twice a week each plus I did a lot of computer work as well . I have some bone spurs as well which is not affecting the situation right now. Ofcourse if you go to a surgeon (especially one that is a bit older) they offer you fusion right away because that is the best they know (that is my opinion after visiting one here and Dr. Khoo). I have been diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

I think you have already visited one of the best doctors in the world for this already. From what I hear and read as long as your sypmtoms are not very bad, you should not consider surgery unless there's a serious risk posed. Please try to do as much research as you can to educate yourself about this. It will be a decision you will have to make. One of the best ways may be is to ask as many opinions as possible and decide accordingly.

Have you done any physical therapy (not massage only) or neck exercises in the previous year?

How bout sending your new MRI and Xrays to Dr. Hoogland?

I am waiting for my medication to finish to see what I will do.

Through my research I have found Dr.Tan Seang Beng in Singapore General Hospital who looks like the leading neurosurgen in your country following innovations and research (he does ADR as well and endoscopic solutions too). May be you can go and see him too?

Please contact me anytime..

Sonata