Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Surgery for merely neck pain?--Dr Hoogland in the Main forums forums; Hi all A whiplash a yr ago left me with C5-6, C6-7 protuding into my spinal chord by ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Surgery for merely neck pain?--Dr Hoogland

Hi all

A whiplash a yr ago left me with C5-6, C6-7 protuding into my spinal chord by 50%. No shooting or burning pain down the arm despite the bad situation as shown on MRI. I have tightness/ soreness in neck,shoulders,head,upper back. Transient numbness in fingers now gone. .

I read with deep empathy the immense pain my fellow spinies are undergoing and wonder if anyone out there has gone for an operation just out of a nagging "pain in the neck" and how effective it is. I read that surgery is most effective for alleviating symptoms from nerve compression and not as suitable for treating neck pain alone. I have visited Dr Hoogland at Alpha Klinik (in Apr 07) who advised percutaneous nucleotomy for 2 levels.

My main concern is the chord compression which means I cannot afford to fall again though Dr Hoogland said research has proven a large percentage of people taken off the street has chord compression without knowing and continue to lead lives normally. He thinks that this shouldnt be a concern(?!)

In addition I am worried that if i leave my problem unattended, it might lead to bone spurs or further degeneration, by then minimally invasive method would not be possible. Especially since the entire system is now unstable. Dr Hooglands' view is I should not decide on surgery based on this as no one knows the future. Only operate if the pain is unbearable. Problem for me is the pain is very bearable provided I dont have to work but I would have to go back to work at some point (long hours in front of computer) as I have been on medical leave for a year! I am very reliant on my twice-weekly chinese massage.

I live in Singapore. Singapore professors have advised fusion to stop movement and hence all pain but I am against this method since it would put pressure on my other levels which are already showing sign of degeneration though I am only 28. I belong to the category where my pain is not bad enought to warrant the risk of an operation (1 in 1000 for death/ paralysis risk) but it does interfere with the quality of my life.. hence i feel i ve been living in limbo for a good one year... a recent MRI shows my condition is the same... throwing me back into limbo..

Would appreciate any advice/comment re how effective is a scope surgery in treating pain in the neck only, the danger of leaving chord compressed and anyone who has been operated on by Dr Hoogland or done a cervical scope surgery?

regards,
Old 11-16-2007, 12:14 AM

Default From KL

Hello Lee

I live in KL and please check my previous posts (39 year old female). I have herniations the same levels as you have one toward the left. one toward the right (they are not only bulges, they look like they have ruptured). My left arm get the creeping ants feeling (mildly), I am on medication and house rest right now for almost 2 weeks and I am not sure if I have improved as the symptoms have been very mild iniatally and I still have them on and off. I have been to Singapore as well. I have seen Dr. Khoo in Mount Elisabeth Hospital. He did not offer surgery right away but he said that would be the likely outcome if I want to have a normal active life(I don't know how valid that reccomendation is considering the high risk of adjacent disc herniations because of fusion within 5 years after surgery!!). I used to play tennis and golf twice a week each plus I did a lot of computer work as well . I have some bone spurs as well which is not affecting the situation right now. Ofcourse if you go to a surgeon (especially one that is a bit older) they offer you fusion right away because that is the best they know (that is my opinion after visiting one here and Dr. Khoo). I have been diagnosed 2 weeks ago.

I think you have already visited one of the best doctors in the world for this already. From what I hear and read as long as your sypmtoms are not very bad, you should not consider surgery unless there's a serious risk posed. Please try to do as much research as you can to educate yourself about this. It will be a decision you will have to make. One of the best ways may be is to ask as many opinions as possible and decide accordingly.

Have you done any physical therapy (not massage only) or neck exercises in the previous year?

How bout sending your new MRI and Xrays to Dr. Hoogland?

I am waiting for my medication to finish to see what I will do.

Through my research I have found Dr.Tan Seang Beng in Singapore General Hospital who looks like the leading neurosurgen in your country following innovations and research (he does ADR as well and endoscopic solutions too). May be you can go and see him too?

Please contact me anytime..

Sonata