View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Default 2 surgeries in one day

I completely agree with this advice.
Should one have 2 spine surgeries in one day it would seem that while one might think the recovery should go evenly all at one time, it may be a most disasterous recovery, a most painful recovery and as Mark stated there might be residual or post op pain generators that would be a mess to sort out based on doing two surgeries affecting the spinal column.

Just having cervical pain and low back pain at once and being laid up from both is enough to make me realize I'd do one first and the other at another time UNLESS it was a neuro or other emergency to go into this magnitude of spine surgery all at once.

I've had 2 knee surgeries, 2 spine surgeries, 2 foot surgeries (with more pending on low back and feet) and all I can say is I've been given an option to do 2 surgeries at one time because of insurance reasons and am glad I said no. A surgeon wanted to do 2 patella tendon releases on me (rt knee, left knee) and I can tell you the recovery from the right knee 2nd surgery patella tendon release was prolonged and hell! I cannot imagine doing both knees at once. Also was suggested to have both bunions done at once plus break hammertoes at one joint (3 toes on one foot and four on another). As it was I did one foot and it was horrendous in term of pain!!! My pain meds didn't even touch this pain and of course every surgery I've done other than spine surgery set my back off into a wickedly prolonged flareup. Can't even imagine doing both extremities at the same time!

I want to know the outcome of one surgery before moving on to the next or bare minimum feel somewhat recovered before doing the next if at all medically/surgically possible.

So do my neck and low back at the same time, no way~ only if absolutely medically/surgically necessary and/or trauma/salvage emergency surgery.

Again Mark makes an extremely important point which is put aside wishful thinking and deal with reality. If you are ready to accept results good or bad or inbetween, then do what you must after researching your options well.

If you must have surgery meaning it's imperative to do something before losing function and or sensitivity then do what you must although again if time permits and hopefully it would, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Emergency salvage/trauma surgery is a decision the surgeon will make ~

Last edited by Maria; 01-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.