Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 2 surgeries in 1 day? in the Main forums forums; I've faced this issue with several clients. > You need cervical and lumbar surgery. > You have to self ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Default 2 surgeries in 1 day?

I've faced this issue with several clients.

> You need cervical and lumbar surgery.
> You have to self pay for the surgery because your insurance company won't pay for ADR.

There is a substantial cost savings in overlapping the hospital stay, or time, surgeons fees, etc. However, this all comes a hugely increased risks.

Some of the surgeons I know will NOT do 2 surgeries too close together. They feel that you must heal up from the first surgery and recover completely before undergoing the second surgery.

Some of the surgeons I know will do 2 surgeries, 1 to 2 weeks apart if everything is OK. That way, they get to see how you tolerate the first surgery. If it's not well, they can wait for you to be adequately recovered before doing the second one. If you handle the first surgery nicely, they will know your neuro status from the first surgery and watch your condition and do the second surgery a week or so later. Informed decisons... safe and effective.

One place I know will do 2 surgeries in the same day. I know someone who recently did this and unfortunately, has had to endure a worst-case kind of experience. The story is hers to tell and I'll leave it to her to post the details. I will not answer questions about the place or details about the surgery unless she wants me to and wants to tell her story.

But, I cannot keep from posting this important message. Do not do surgeries on your spine based on wishful thinking. You must learn about your options and do what is most medically appropriate. Going into the surgery, saving thousands of dollars may seem important. If it goes as you wished for and all goes well, it will seem as if you made an OK choice. If things don't go as hoped for, that money will seem insignificant compared to your ordeal and potentially permant injury.

We've all heard stories about people who have died in cosmetic surgery when the surgeon does many procedures at once. Undergoing lengthy surgeries by choice is far too dangerous. (We may have to endure lengthy surgeries because we need a surgery that takes long... but doing it on an elective basis is completly different.)

If you have neuro deficits after a multiple surgery, how do you know where the problem lies. It's not always obvious based on testing. If you have bladder problems, bowel problems, sexual dysfunction, weakness in your legs, burning in your feet..... and on and on.... these things can be caused in your lumbar spine or your cervical spine (and elsewhere too.)

If you don't know the results of one surgery before you do the second surgery and you have problems, how do you sort it all out? If you have complications related to the first surgery, you should not undergo the second surgery... but if you do them both at the same time.... it's too late. If you have complications from both (hematoma, seroma, sympathetic nerve chain issues, excess drainage or bleeding.... )... you are in more trouble.

Please heed this warning. Do what is medically appropriate. Don't make compromises in the quality of your care by choice.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 AM

Thank you for writing this, Mark, I agree totally.

The possiblities of 2 surgeries at close to the same time was a suggested possibility for me and I decided to not do 2 at once no matter what was found for the reasons you state. There was family members pushing me to get it all done at same time if needed but I keep saying no, its better to heal the first one and then "wait and see". I will have them read your post above.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Default 2 surgeries in one day

I completely agree with this advice.
Should one have 2 spine surgeries in one day it would seem that while one might think the recovery should go evenly all at one time, it may be a most disasterous recovery, a most painful recovery and as Mark stated there might be residual or post op pain generators that would be a mess to sort out based on doing two surgeries affecting the spinal column.

Just having cervical pain and low back pain at once and being laid up from both is enough to make me realize I'd do one first and the other at another time UNLESS it was a neuro or other emergency to go into this magnitude of spine surgery all at once.

I've had 2 knee surgeries, 2 spine surgeries, 2 foot surgeries (with more pending on low back and feet) and all I can say is I've been given an option to do 2 surgeries at one time because of insurance reasons and am glad I said no. A surgeon wanted to do 2 patella tendon releases on me (rt knee, left knee) and I can tell you the recovery from the right knee 2nd surgery patella tendon release was prolonged and hell! I cannot imagine doing both knees at once. Also was suggested to have both bunions done at once plus break hammertoes at one joint (3 toes on one foot and four on another). As it was I did one foot and it was horrendous in term of pain!!! My pain meds didn't even touch this pain and of course every surgery I've done other than spine surgery set my back off into a wickedly prolonged flareup. Can't even imagine doing both extremities at the same time!

I want to know the outcome of one surgery before moving on to the next or bare minimum feel somewhat recovered before doing the next if at all medically/surgically possible.

So do my neck and low back at the same time, no way~ only if absolutely medically/surgically necessary and/or trauma/salvage emergency surgery.

Again Mark makes an extremely important point which is put aside wishful thinking and deal with reality. If you are ready to accept results good or bad or inbetween, then do what you must after researching your options well.

If you must have surgery meaning it's imperative to do something before losing function and or sensitivity then do what you must although again if time permits and hopefully it would, get a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

Emergency salvage/trauma surgery is a decision the surgeon will make ~

Last edited by Maria; 01-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.