Thread: My Story...
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Aimee,

OK, so your injury is a little more involved than you first reported. Again, this may be minor or it could be major. Doctors have their own way and many believe their's is the only way which is why educating yourself is so important.

The vertabrae all have names. The discs are named for the vertabrae surrounding them. S1/L5 means the disc that is between the sacral 1 and lumbar 5 vertabrae. This is the lowest disc. L4/5 would indicate the next one up between the lumbar 5 and lumbar 4 vertabrae. Above the lumbars is thorasic, cervical and (I think) cranial.

The disc, for various reasons, can bulge out of it's normal space, called a herniation. Try to imagine a car tire that has a weakened sidewall and the weight of the car causes an air bubble. If this bulge is on the inside it narrows the spinal canal space and the spinal cord which occupies this space is irritated, causing pain and numbness down your legs (or arms) or other weakness. My doctors always advised ice in this situation to reduce swelling. Heat may make your overworked protective muscles relax a little but also may increase the swelling.

The herniation may resolve itself with rest or physical therapy or eventually may need surgical intervention. However, breathe and don't panic. If you find that your symptoms don't diminish and or disappear and your doctor does recommend surgery, please get a second opinion before making that decision. Sometimes even a third opinion is necessary. Again, as Maria wrote, let me stress the importance of educating yourself. You need to understand what your doctor is telling you and ask the appropriate questions.

This forum is here to help you. Ask us questions or vent and so on. Some of us have had surgery(s), some have artificial discs and some haven't decided what they want to do yet. Don't be afraid to let medications help you during this time of pain. You really can't decide anything when you're hurting too bad.

Aimiee, I do hope your situation resolves itself and I wish you good luck. Please post as often as you want to. You don't have to go through this without help.

Dale