View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 07:02 PM

About 'pestering' a doctor. First, we all have to look after ourselves and decisions made without all the facts may be the wrong one, regardless of the genre in which this decision must be made. For instance, a lender's decision to make a home loan would be greatly affected if the job you listed was only temporary or the company was about to relocate to another city. They would then know the payments would become difficult and you might ultimately lose the house. Why are we so afraid to share important information with our doctors when a healthy outcome may be jeopardized? If your doctor is too aloof or self righteous to listen then maybe it's time to find a new doctor.

The second reason to voice your concerns is, whether we like it or not, health care is a comodity that we pay for. If my money is good enough to send a steak back to a restaurant kitchen, then it's sure good enough to expect and demand excellent health care (or at least as good as can be expected considering the state of health care). We all work too hard for our money and if you're paying... you should get the best!

Sometimes fear prevents us from voicing our concerns. I know of 2 people who died from cancer because of fear of being diagnosed. They put off going to their doctor until it was too late. I once had a spot on my chest that I was sure was cancer but it wasn't until I mentioned it to a friend that she literally made my appointment and accompanied me to the doctor so I couldn't back out. It was nothing but fear prevented me from finding out. We all have stories like this or know of others who put off doing what's needed until whatever condition has worsened. In too many circumstances, the condition has escalated and must be treated on another level.

We all must blow our own horns!