View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Maria,

Having one leg longer than the other, I had back spasms all my adult life. I did not know you could actually injure your back so when I had a severe spasm, I did what I always did, rest. My chiro did not mention that I should have an MRI and I assumed this was just a bad one, lasting 5 months. I had no other symptoms, no pain down my legs, buttocks, no foot drop... nothing. After dinner out with friends, my back was considerably worse, I took a bath to relax but didn't help. The pain was so intense I couldn't sleep and by morning, I could barely walk and was unable to straighten my right leg.

I called my doctor who saw me 7 in the morning, sent me for an MRI and an immediate consult with a neuro... who immediately scheduled surgery. I did wait 1 week for an autalogous blood donation but don't remember much because of the drugs. I think I slept most of the time.

After surgery, I could straighten my leg but my foot and other 'spots' down my leg were numb. Some of the feeling has since come back but the rest remains permanantly numb. I no longer limp and can otherwise use my entire leg (wish I could say the same for my left) but I was warned another rupture could cause more nerve damage. That's why, when I knew L4/5 was in trouble, I ran for surgery 8 years later. Didn't last a year before I was in trouble again. Then I found Mark and the rest is history.

Your discs are so weak and compromised that not only might you be compromising other discs but you should ask your doctor how close you might be to a rupture, especially if you continue picking up furniture .

I know all about your fence and don't blame you one little bit. This is serious stuff and your concern for the surgery and a positive outcome is extremely valid. I just have to wonder how long you can live on these drugs that mask serious pain without sustaining other damage. Call me and we can discuss if you like. Look for my pm

Dale