Thread: Any advice?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 06:10 PM

Hi Lil,

I am so sorry for you pain but glad to have you with us. Too many of us have the same tale to tell and yours sounds familiar.

Too often a discectomy, which leaves the disc compromised, sometimes severely, can lead to deterioration of adjacent discs. One discectomy leads to another with each surgery less effective than the previous one. It's called failed back surgery syndrome. What surprises me is that doctors, good doctors, know about this and still perform 3rd or more surgeries. I know someone who had 9. Fusion also often has the same consequences on adjecent segments but also can limit movement.

Are you a good ADR candidate? Your neuro thinks so. It's now time to educate yourself and get another opinion. Finding the best doctor is more than half the battle. Give Mark at call if for nothing other than to head you in a good direction. ADR is not without it's own risk and/or success rate. It is not a walk in the park and revision/removal can be risky if not impossible. This is not a decision to enter into lightly. Having said all that, for some it is a new birth, giving us back our lives, or at least part of our lives.

Good luck to you and I hope you find what you're looking for,
Dale