View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 05:52 PM

Quite a confusing conversation. Especially if your a suffering patient just looking for clues on what is better: fusion/ADR ... and in what cases.

What I read here: Do your homework, read, learn, question ... and simultaneously ... do not trust published data (i.e., what you read), do not trust your surgeon's answers to your questions, and much of what you learn (especially on the internet ...like on forums) is apparently garbage or dangerously misleading. One person says - decide on your procedure, then find a doctor who agrees. In other words, you must be smarter and more knowledgeable than the surgeons themselves. How can you do this? Attend conferences? No, of course not. You can barely move. Ask multiple doctors? Of course not ... again, you can barely breath, much less sit for hours in a waiting room. Send email? Forget it. No doctor is going to give medical advice except in person. Count the happy people vs. sad people post surgery on forums? Not after seeing the misrepresentation, defamation, censorship and banning of failure case we see on sites like ADRsupport. In any case, we can easily see in the member lists that the successful people's posts of 'encouragement' outnumber the failure warnings 1000 to 1.

Believe it or not, I studied like mad (on ADR) before leading my wife into this hell. EVERYTHING said ADR was supperior in every respect. Now, I feel like a Joseph Fritzl ... going to work, stores, sleeping free of pain ... while my wife is facing FIFTY years at least of hell. A destroyed leg, and the consequences of a late lateral explantation of a Prodisc. Hard to believe this was my wife only 3 years ago ... before we were tricked into 'volunteering' for someone's sick experiment ... for data that no one believes.

So, as Mark said on ADRsupport long ago: "This is a dangerous landscape. We can't trust the studies... we can't trust the statistics... we can't trust the anectodal evidence... we can't trust the doctors to always know what's right, or to always tell us the truth... and on and on."

I doubt you will be able to find that quote on ADRsupport ... as H has locked the doors, so to speak. By invitation only.

So, this begs the question: Who/What do you trust? Obviously, the first to exclude are those who have a financial conflict of interest. Next would be data which is not double-blind class I controlled (i.e., basically everything from Europe is self-monitored). Third would be, anyone who suggests that a selected set of success stories from forum members is justification for ignoring the generally accepted practices (rules).

Some of those people, even have the audacity to suggest that facet arthrosis is not a contraindication ... and then kick everyone who dissents off their board.

Question (back to Sharman's original question - regarding 'fit'): Does anyone know what the minimum height of the Prodisc-L is, and resultingly, what is then the minimum height of a person's natural disc?

Question 2: What grade of facet arthrosis is a contraindication to ADR?

Yours,
Matt