View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Matt,

Your pain in so evident in your post. What you and A have been through, are going through, will go through, no one should have to. I am sorry that you find yourself in this position.

I think your post demonstrates the need for educating oneself more than ever. If learned, studied doctors have differing opinions, how does anyone know which is the truth? Excellent question. And no, I don't believe someone should chart their own course and then find a doctor who agrees with them.

First, any surgery has it's own risk. When the spine in involved, this decision is multiplied too many times over. The best advice, which I still stand by, is the excellence and reputation of your doctor. A is the proof that even that criteria isn't fool proof. I too had a bad experience with a renowned surgeon. So what can someone do to insure this doesn't happen to them?

The truth is I don't think they can. Bad things happen even with the best advice/intentions. Bad things happen under the guise of basic medical care. I've no doubt, based on insurance approval and despite known contr-indications, I could have found 10 doctors who would have fused my 4 lumbar discs. Would this have been wrong? I honestly don't have the answer to that one.

In short, there is no cut and dry answer to too many medical questions. Everyone has to decide for themselves which information they find valuable and which to throw in the trash and the only way is to educate themselves. If an answer has leanings, go with the leanings. If 50/50, try to find examples. Are you wrong because you disagree? Are you right because others agree with you? I don't think, at least not in our lifetime, spinal procedures will progress to any definitive procedures. It's people like us that will pave the way. In the meantime and because of all the above, we owe it to ourselves to do the best we can with the best we have. I do believe that one day it will be simple but as to when is only in those evasive crystal balls.

I hope you and A find the relief you seek and this nightmare finally ends.

Dale