View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Hi all
Remember the ALPA/XLIF approach is not applicable to the L5/S1 level. I assume revision at this level either involves a risky 2nd anterior approach to remove the offending ADR or a posterior gutter fusion with rods and screws leaving the ADR in place.
The XLIF is an exciting innovation either for straight fusion or ADR revision - unfortunately as it's pretty new there seems to be a shortage of real life cases on the web to read about. Hopefully over the next year we'll start to see some cases filtering through and then we'll get a real idea of how much of a step forward this really is.
If you visit the Nuvasive site or any of the sites provided by clinics using the XLIF you get the real impression this surgery is a walk in the park..
Here in the UK there are currently only 2 doctors who are trained in this procedure (although more are signed up to go over to the states for training in the near future). The doc I saw recently had at that time only done 1 procedure and I don't fancy being part of his learning curve. There seem to be far more surgeons in the US who are well practiced in this procedure.
Jeff I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. Have you talked to Dr Zeegers or any other surgeons to discuss your options?
Tim

Last edited by Tim; 06-10-2008 at 02:54 PM.