View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 AM

Question Success rates and trade offs – what are your expectations

Prior to my own 3 level surgery I asked, on ADRsupport, of those considering their surgeries successful, what can they no longer do? Of the responses I received only one person claimed no limitations. This surprised me because of all the positive posts I read no one ever claimed any residual impairment.

Even after my first disco/lami surgery my doctor told me six weeks post op that 100% had a different meaning. Life after ADR surgery also redefines this 100%. Of course there are those who will walk away from this surgery with the only change in their lives the possibility of setting off metal detectors. However, the majority of us, those who consider our surgeries successful, continue to have ‘something’ and that something is different for us all.

Coming from a standpoint of having no life, waking in the morning to go sit in a laz-y-boy all day, not going out, unable to sit at the dinner table and then leaving my chair to go to bed, any improvement would seem like a miracle. However I am not a very physical person and my hopes were basically mild. I wanted to sit and work on my artistic endeavors. Picking up my grandchildren and cooking my family’s favorite meals did not require a great amount of physical stamina. Well, with few exceptions, I got my wish.

I know of another woman who is extremely physical and for her anything less that her previous 100% simply wasn’t acceptable. She would/could not endure any daily pain, no matter how mild. Her capacities are much greater than mine. Her residual symptoms are much less. She did not get her wish.

There are also trade-offs. If you do this, you might suffer that. If you overdo there will be consequences. The surgery left me with nerve damage affecting my left leg. This causes quite of bit of limitations. I could take Lyrica (or Neurontin) to lesson these weaknesses and live with almost no daily pain as I did for two years post op but I lost myself. I had no interest in those things that previously lit my world. I chose the pain and limitations and am most pleased to report my interests have returned. My limitations are a constant in my life but the pain varies and most often is quite tolerable. However, I must also tell you, on those days when my symptoms are more acute I second guess myself. I hate taking pain pills, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories but without Lyrica, they have become a necessary part of my life. The irony is when I take Norco, my pm’s preference for pain, (Vicodin with less Tylenol) I can’t paint or write anyway so during the day I usually choose to deal with the pain.

So after you’ve done all your research and have been told you’re a good/decent candidate, you should also ask yourself what are your expectations. You already know that ADR surgery comes with no guarantee and revisions are difficult… but only a very few are still able to scale the Swiss Alps or compete in a triathlon. What rate of success would recontent you with your life? Then discuss this revelation with your doctor to find out if what you expect is reasonable given your specific circumstances.

If after addressing this issue that few people talk about, you decide to forge ahead with ADR surgery, I do wish you the absolute best luck possible.

Dale