View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Maria,

Before my surgery I still had my desires even if I pain stopped me. After my surgery I simply didn't want to. My sense of concentration was completely gone. Even when my pain was completely controlled and my abilities mostly restored, I couldn't achieve the concentration level necessary for my work or play. I could walk and swim, play with my grandchildren but it wasn't until these drugs were out of my system, about 3 months after I stopped taking them, that I realized the full magnitude of what they took from me.

Personally speaking, I used to concentrate so hard I'd forget to breathe. It's the same level where you purse your lips or stick out your tongue. It's involuntary. Creative thinking is necessary for my pursuits but that was the trade off in choosing no pain. Don't get me wrong, I hate the pain but everyone has something that they love doing. My surgery gave me back the ability to sit, pain free, for the hours needed to paint. Neurontin and Lyrica took away my desire and the ability to concentrate.

I'm not minimizing the life my surgery gave back to me. Though still fearful that I won't be able to endure this or that, so far I've encountered few problems. I see friends, eat dinner with my family, walk my dog, play with my 'babies' but for me, I wanted to do those things for which I had a passion. By nature I'm a passionate and imaginative person. That is what N&L took from me. If your passion is more physical then you shouldn't have difficulties with either drug.

Yes, Dr. B gave me back a life. Not taking N&L gave me back MY life. Hope this answers your question????

Dale