View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone!

It is getting easier, physically. However the mental aspect is a different story. As some of you know I am a competitor and play sports year round. It's kind of a catch 22, LOL. In 1 case, I'm glad I have the Olympics to watch while I am down and out. And on the other hand, I can't wait to get back out there and at least have a catch with my son. So, we'll have to play this smart and conservative so recuperation is as perfect as it can be.

I have spoken to 1 of my M.A. instructors who had an older but similar procedure. She tells me the same thing everyone else tells me. That is I am not to screw around with anything for the first 6 months. Don't play, don't think that I am recovered yet and the most important thing is to let the fusion take and heal. She had had her titanium rods removed and is in constant pain because she pushed the envelope. She is setting up for corrective surgery just to ease the pain level.

I've started getting some numbness in my big toes and a few other, but nothing to crazy. I feel it could be from too much walking, or sitting a bit too long. However, it does ease up after I get a good rest. Sleeping is getting better as I am getting a good 6 hours now before I wake up for whatever reason. i.e pain, bathroom or my body is done sleeping for now.

I am really starting to feel my knee now. For over a year I have been putting most of my weight on my left side just because it was easier due to the simple fact most of my pain was on my right side. Ironic how the Hammy tear and radicular pain were both on the same side. We'll take a look at the on Monday to see what going on in there. Getting old really sucks......
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.