View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Relistor - for constipation related to opiate use

My doctor just told me about a new medication for help with opiate induced constipation. So many spine patients suffer from this. There is a lot of info if you poke around on the internet. Usual application is with a self-administered injection every other day. My doctor says that insurance companies are paying for this only for cancer patients, but you could probably get it prescribed and self pay. I don't know the costs. While many spine patients battle the constipation problem, I don't know how many have issues that would rise to this level of treatment???
From Relistor Eases Painkiller-Related Constipation - Digestion and Digestive-Related Information on MedicineNet.com

Relistor Helps Ease Painkiller-Related Constipation

(HealthDay News) — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Relistor (methylnaltrexone bromide) to treat constipation stemming from continuous use of opioid painkillers.

Opioids, including morphine, are commonly prescribed for people with late-stage cancer, heart failure, respiratory disease and other illnesses. But the painkillers can interfere with normal bowel function by relaxing the intestinal muscles that push out waste.

Relistor prevents opioids from affecting these muscles, allowing the bowels to function normally.

The drug is injected at intervals not to exceed once in 24 hours. It's not recommended for people with known or possible bowel obstructions. Side effects can include abdominal pain, gas, nausea, dizziness and diarrhea. Users with severe symptoms should discontinue the drug's use, the FDA said.

Relistor is produced by Philadelphia-based Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and Tarrytown, N.Y.-based Progenics Pharmaceuticals.

—Scott Roberts
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org