Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Relistor - for constipation related to opiate use in the Main forums forums; My doctor just told me about a new medication for help with opiate induced constipation. So many spine patients suffer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Relistor - for constipation related to opiate use

My doctor just told me about a new medication for help with opiate induced constipation. So many spine patients suffer from this. There is a lot of info if you poke around on the internet. Usual application is with a self-administered injection every other day. My doctor says that insurance companies are paying for this only for cancer patients, but you could probably get it prescribed and self pay. I don't know the costs. While many spine patients battle the constipation problem, I don't know how many have issues that would rise to this level of treatment???
From Relistor Eases Painkiller-Related Constipation - Digestion and Digestive-Related Information on MedicineNet.com

Relistor Helps Ease Painkiller-Related Constipation

(HealthDay News) — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Relistor (methylnaltrexone bromide) to treat constipation stemming from continuous use of opioid painkillers.

Opioids, including morphine, are commonly prescribed for people with late-stage cancer, heart failure, respiratory disease and other illnesses. But the painkillers can interfere with normal bowel function by relaxing the intestinal muscles that push out waste.

Relistor prevents opioids from affecting these muscles, allowing the bowels to function normally.

The drug is injected at intervals not to exceed once in 24 hours. It's not recommended for people with known or possible bowel obstructions. Side effects can include abdominal pain, gas, nausea, dizziness and diarrhea. Users with severe symptoms should discontinue the drug's use, the FDA said.

Relistor is produced by Philadelphia-based Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and Tarrytown, N.Y.-based Progenics Pharmaceuticals.

—Scott Roberts
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Default opioid constipation

Thanks Mark! The worst problem I have with the use of opioid medication is the constipation. Recently I switched to a mostly vegan diet, eating actually 3 meals daily and some healthy snacks such as fruit/veggies and along with my usual doses of Miralax and Senakot-S I've been really pleased that I can do my *morning ritual* with no probs like before.

Also the last 6 months or so I had a.m. nausea that kept me house bound until about noon time. I asked every doctor I had what was wrong with me, had labwork done, tests, even had an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound ordered (didn't have them).

I changed my diet around and my patterns of eating and the nausea vanished and the urge and ability re bowel movements returned!

However it'd be nice to have an injectable medicine as an option and it's great for the morbidly constipated as I was termed at one time back when taking MS Contin ( constipation was the reason I was switched to Methadone).
Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Maria, please let us know if you get any more info about Relistor. While it's hard to imagine going to every other day injections, as most of us aren't that bad; is this something that you can keep on hand for the occasional help that is needed? How expensive?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 PM

Default re Relistor

Mark,
The dietary changes I've instituted are working really well w/my current laxative regime. I will inquire about Relistor as an option perhaps when traveling or just unable to follow the ritual I *must* in order to evacuate..geez sounds like some elevator nightmare!

Have gone to mostly vegan diet and it's working. Working is the operative word in terms of bowel function
Old 10-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to racergaldar
Default Natural remedy for constipation (due to opiads)

I've had the same problem and found that Senna leaves works better than anything else I've tried. I get them at my health food grocery (Whole Foods) in a tea bag (Welcome to Alvita) and drink it before I go to bed. I can control the strength by how long I let it steep. The best part about it is that its a natural substance therefore I'm not putting more toxins in my body or having to take even more medications.