View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 AM

Unhappy Newbie- L5-S1herniated w/ fragment-how bad is it?

A week ago I felt my back go and had pain below the knee into my foot . I went to my Family Doc twice. She didn't even bother to check my reflexes much less examine me, Ordered an MRIwhich shows L5-S1 herniation with nerve root compression, scar tissue and a 7 mm disc (bone) fragment pressing too.

Since Friday, the pain has been replaced by complete and total numbness. I've tried bed rest and prednisone 40 mgs 2x day and it has gotten to the point that I am just dragging a stump around.

I now have NO feeling below my left calf and have completely lost the ability to tap my foot or raise it from the heel (this is loss of Achilles reflex I think) The sole of my foot is totally numb, too.

I believe this family doc is incompetent, wants to send me for a "shot" without proper evaluation.

I have 2 questions:

1. Am I correct to suspect that this total numbness and loss of reflex suggests a need for immediate intervention attention as in experiencing the "progressive neurological deficit" I keep been reading about??

2. How long can I be like this without permanent injury to the nerve?

I have been through this twice already with L4-L5-2 surgeries in 2 years. It is so frustrating to deal with this doc-when I asked for a referral to Neurologist they suggested I try to get myself an appt., rather than making a referral.

Thanks for your help,
Grace