View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

At least L5-S1 is usually an easier surgery than L4-L5. Mostly because they dont have to move that large vein that feeds your legs. Hopefully you won't need ADR at L4-L5 anytime soon because they only do one level in the USA. You can't have 2 disk replacements, only a disk replacement and a fusion.
L5-S1 is not the worst place to fuse because it doesn't move as much as the L4-L5.
I have ADR at L4-L5 and am having a fusion at L5-S1 in a few weeks. I wouldnt be happy if the ADR was at L5-S1 and the fusion was at L4-L5 only because of the freedom of motion issue.

What kind of medications/dosage are you on?

Discograms can be fun. When they stick me I tell the doctor how good it feels. Deeper!!! Deeper!!! Yeah!!! I even bought him a rose...
Seriously, I was amazed at the clarity of the discogram pictures. It's a great test though ambiguous. I had a discogram 3 years ago and my L5-S1 only reacted once but not twice so they didn't work on it even though it showed the dye leaking out. My recent discogram had the L5-S1 react twice so NOW they are going to fuse. I feel like the last 2 years of treatment were a total waste of time & pain, while they're poking around my back looking for something thats not there, while my L5-S1 annular tear was probably the culprit all this time. It depends on how the discogram is interpreted.

My second discogram didn't seem as bad as the first though...

Best of Luck!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC