View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM

CAT SCAN results:

Impression - Some degree of fusion of the posterior element bony fusion masses are present at L4-L5. The hardware appears intact without evidence of fracture or loosening.

Stable appearance to a right subarticular disc protrusion at L5-S1 touching but not compressing the right S-1 nerve root.

History - status post lumbar fusion from L4-S1

Technique - Axial images of the lumbar spine obtained. Sagittal ans coronal reformats obtained and reviewed

Contrast - none

Comparison - Disogram from 2/27/2008 and radiographs of the lumbar spine from the lumbar fusion of 8/01/2008. Also MRI of the lumbar spine of 07/02/2008

Findings - Alignments: within normal limits

Postsurgical changes: Bilateral rods and pedicle screws are noted from L4 through S1. he pedicle screws show no encroachment on the central canal neural foramina. There is no evidence of hardware fracture or loosening. There is deformity to the left lamina at L5-S1. Area fusion of bone material is seen between the facets and transverse processes at L4-L5 and L5-S1. On the right side there is evidence of fusion of the bone mass in the craniocaudal dimension. It does not appear fused with with the facets and the spinous processes. On the right side, there is partial fusion of the right fusion bone mass.

T12-L1 Within normal limits

L1-L2 within normal limits

L2-L3 Minimal disc bulge and mild bilateral facet hypertrophy. No herniation. No central canal stenosis. The disc bulge causes a minimal degree of inferior narrowing both neural foramina but without impingement of the L2 nerve roots. Unchanged from MRI of 07/02/2008

L3-L4 There is a mild broad-based disc bulge. No disc hernoation. No cantral canal stenosos or subarticular recess narrowing. Disc bulge causes a mild degree of the foramen are both neural foramina without impingement of the L3 nerve root. Again unchanged from MRI

L4-L5 There is a mild broad based disc bulge but no herniation or subarticular recess narrowing. The disc bulge causes mild urinary both neural foramina without impingements of the nerve roots. Unchanged from MRI

L5-S1 There is a broad-based disc bulge with a right subarticular disc protrusion touching but not compressing the right S1 nerve root and right subarticular recess. The disc bulge causes mild inferior both neural foramen without impingement of the L5 nerve root. Unchanged from MRI

Paraspinal soft tissues: Grossly normal

I have been coming out of my brace for a few hours a day. I find it to be a bit uncomfortable at best. I can definitely feel the weakness in the core muscle group and a bit of a confidence problem without the brace. Too much activity without the braces brings on the right leg problems with the sciatica in the glutes, outside and inside on the hamstrings and some serious pain in the calf and big toe. The outside toes still feel numb, but no pain. Also I have been getting quick sharp pains in the left hamstring. These episodes only last about 5-10 seconds but almost bring me down due to the fast intensity of the onset. Only brief on the left side and not getting past the knee. Sitting too long or walking too long still brings on the right leg symptoms with or without the brace.

I will say that the sharp stinging burning pain the back has stopped and is now just a dull achy pain. (I am assuming from recovery and muscle atrophy)

I have lost almost 40lbs weighing in at just under 180lbs. Hopefully the first 4 weeks of PT will help but this all to rest before we move on.

OK, Mark....I need this broken down in English.

Thanks in advance
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.