View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie G View Post
I have an annular tear at L5-S1 and I am going in for anterior/posterior fusion with pedicle screws on Tuesday. I have exhausted all non-invasive treatment and everyone feels this is the best option left. I cannot sit without pain and my quality of life is one step above a poop fly. I cant wait until this is over!

My discogram 2 years ago did show the annular tear but the pain was only recreated once. It has to be recreated twice to merit a positive result but I think the valium may have clouded my judgement at the time. The latest discogram reacted twice though my judgement was still cloudy. They also found a tear at L3-L4! Asympotmatic. I heard THAT before.

I'll let you know if the fusion fixes this pain issue.
Eddie, Let me tell ya. My discogram @ L4-L5 was maybe a 4-5 and very tolerable. L5-S1 was the worst pain that I had ever felt in my life. Annulus was/is torn and the dye leaked through. Make sure they know what the pain indicators are!!!!

I had a posterior fusion "without" a vertebral spacer @ L5-S1. So now I have these screws and PEEK rods in my back and the pain indicator is still there. A lot of mis-communication and a lack of understanding what exactly was going on.

Before you do anything, make sure you know EXACTLY what is going to be done before you have an 8" scar on your back and the physical therapist getting pissed because he feels that all of "his" work will be for naught. (exact words)
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.