View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to racergaldar
Default Functional Restoration Program

Mark: What do you mean by dermatome? What is that?

I had an EMG that showed chronic L5 chronic radiculopathy.

The reason why we didn't do the program 1st is that I was hoping the injections and PT would solve the problem sooner, but after exhajusting all those, it didn't. two spine surgeons recommended the Discogram/CT but WC denied it. Finally got the QME report recommending it, so i could go that way if I chose to (IA is not going to appeal QME report). However, the EMG was excruciating so I know the disco will be 10 times worse and fear the pain may not go away for a while - maybe there is a risk that it will permanently make my pain worse.

While waiting for all this happen I did more research on FRP and came across a paper written about a 26 year old female whose MRI results showed the disc protrusion was completely gone (it showed her MRI images) 14 months after completing the program. Although she didn't have disc degeneration like me, I was hoping that since in 2004 I had disc degeneration I was still able to do the activities I enjoy. So as a last ditch effort, maybe if the FRP may reduce/eliminate the disc extrusions that it may be enough to return to my normal activities. I figure that if I don't do the program first and go directly to surgery, I'll always wonder. I'm not confident that ADR would solve my problem.

My major complaint is that it feels like someone (a giant) is holding in part of my body in their hands and is trying to break my back (picture trying to break a pencil in half). I get right leg/knee pain, numbess and tingling, off and on. Feels the the injections may have helped the leg pain, but now its worn off and its back now. I noticed this the other 2 injections as well. Sometimes I also feel numbness in the middle of my back. (does that answer the question about correlation with MRI)?

ACOEM Guidelines do recommend FDR, so I'm pretty sure it will be approved. I'm expecting an answer by the end of this week (they've (UR) been good about responding within 14 days).

I told my dr. I would commit to the FDR and hold off on the disco, but before I actually start I wanted to get some feedback from everyone so I can feel better about my decision instead of not wasting 8 more weeks of my life and going directly to surgery. Its hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, I'm don't know to the full extent of what the MRI shows, but since it does show issues with more than one level, I'm not confident I'm a candidate for ADR anyway. If that be the case, then the only other choice is the FRP (unless someone can convince me that fusion won't limit my range of motion.). I'm having a very hard time now accepting my current limitations and probably the only thing that has prevented me from diving into severe depression is Faith. I don't know how long that will hold out, but just for today it helps me get through each day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.