View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 PM

Kathy,

This is my history. I had a discectomy at S1/L5 in 1995, followed by another in 2002 at L4/5, followed by a 3 level ADR, one on top of another in 2005. Mark has a 2 level, one of top of another as does his wife, (it runs in the family ) Many others have multiple levels, both lumbar and cervical.

Here is what your doctors are not telling you. Statistically speaking, a first discectomy is about 85% successful, a second – about 50% with subsequent surgeries only about 5%. The reason for these dismal statistics is that a discectomy compromises the structure and integrity of the disc, putting pressure on adjacent segments and promoting the advancement of degenerative disc disease. A discectomy is far less invasive than either fusion or ADR surgery.

Fusion limits movement at that level, also putting pressure on adjacent segments and also promotes DDD. ADRs are motion preserving. Fusion hardware can, though not in all cases, loosen, causing further surgery. Multi-level fusion is often contra-indicated but has been the only remedy for so long, it is the ‘accepted cure’, especially in older doctors. I don’t know about your specific doctors but those who don’t perform ADR surgery are far less likely to recommend it. A woman from Germany, who had a lumbar, multi-level ADR, discovered that doctors over the age of 50 counseled against ADR with those under 50 recommending it. By the way, she has her complete life back, including horseback riding!

I realize that the whole idea is scary and ADR surgery comes with no guarantees. To the best of my knowledge, there are no statistics available on ADRs, except perhaps those skewed by the manufacturers themselves and therefore unreliable. (This is where I chastise Mark for not starting a database ). This is why your own knowledge becomes vitally necessary before deciding on your next course of action. If you decide on fusion, it should be with full knowledge of all the risks. This applies to all surgeries, including ADR. I had one doctor who told me I’d be up to my old self after 6 weeks. So untrue.

A discography will reveal which levels are involved. Based on the results, you can then schedule your surgery. In some cases, an ADR can be revised into a fusion. A fusion is permanent.

Kathy, you have a lot on your plate and deciding what to do is a daunting task and one that will affect the rest of your life. No one should tell you what to do but before you decide for yourself, you need to become fully informed as to both the benefits and risks. ASK QUESTIONS!

Dale (I just sent you a pm)

Last edited by dshobbies; 12-27-2008 at 07:08 PM.